two-way radio question

BBFDMedic28

Forum Crew Member
At my fire dept we are using a vhf and 800mhz system. The dispatch channel is patched to both bands. It does suck having to monitor both radios. At my ambulance co we use a uhf system.

Niftymedic911

Forum Probie
Lee County uses the analog re-banded trunked 800mhz Motorola Astro Smart Net II radio communications system. We just recieved federal grants to upgrade our system to Digital. Right now we're using Motorola Astro XTS 3000's. After the upgrade we will be switching to the Digital 5000's. There are 2 portables and 2 "base" radios in every truck. Both have every channel available. Our "Med Control" radio is in the back with all the 7 hospital channels.

ccems644

Forum Probie
We use vhf radio's mostly motorola and icom. we have a few odd and ends out ther though. we have one dispatch center that dispatches for everybody in the county. gets crazy sometimes

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Our company uses the Midband Coms... somewhere in the high 80Mhz... I dont like those, always have problems with the coms.

Our national provinces in the company uses the trunking system. I thinks its also up in the 800 or 900's.

The benefit of the Midband, we have a simplex channel which is used by our local department. The trunking guys, sorry for you...

keith10247

Forum Lieutenant
My county also uses an 800mhz system. It is compatible with all neighboring counties and we can seamlessly switch to their talk groups for mutual aid calls. PD also has access to Fire/EMS talk groups (but Fire/EMS does not get access to PD's talk groups). We also still support the 154.2500 frequency which runs all of our dispatching for minitors.

We are currently in the process of rebanding our radios to the 600mhz (I believe it is 600mhz and not 700) due to the whole ordeal with the sprint/nextel interference on the 800 mhz spectrum. Pretty soon, the whole DC Metro area is supposed to be converting. Nextel was forced to pay something like 2.8 billion+ to support the rebanding.

k9shadow1

Forum Ride Along
We have it all here right now. Fire is on VHF, City PD is on 700, Sheriff is on UHF, County EMS is on 700, State police is on UHF, and city/county support services are on 800.

flywnc

Forum Probie
Radios

Fire, EMS, and LEO in the county I dispatch in run on a Narrow Band VHF system.

And we use Motorola HT1550 for portables at my FD :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
800 MHz i like the Next el Rant...I couldn't get reception under a tower with a ten foot antenna on those things.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Well you all must work in some garbage markets or the sales guy doesn't convey the coverage good. I can only speak for the area I cover and its mostly highway coverage, maybe get 3 miles off highway and thats about it except in large cities. Some states, cities have better coverage than others. Not all towers you see will have nextel service on them either. Could also be a botched up install in the ambulance. I know plenty police, sheriff's dept. that are satisfied over here, as well as some ambulance companies and PSAPs.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
IN the jail, all reinforced concrete and metal fences...

We asked for radios and got Nextel heavy duty flipphones with "walkie talkies". My coworkers can't get past the technical end far enogh to confront their mike-shyness. Custody has Motorola handhelds and the bigger buidlings have an internal antenna system to propagate the signal.