Two Part Question

Inef

Forum Ride Along
At least one of them will be unique.

1. To renew my certification with the state, I need a skills competency verification form, and it may just be that my google skills are lacking right now, but I don't know where to get that. Bonus question, I haven't renewed my NREMT cert yet and thus have to do extra stuff, can I get a job without having it?

2. I'm transgender and took my EMT class with a different name/gender. I didn't work for the ensuing two years due to a combination of having school and transitioning. I don't have much work experience either, for the same reasons, and thus no references. I know it's hard to find work and was wondering if it's worth it to talk to my old instructor (a fire captain), explain the situation, and see if he's willing to still be a reference for me. Also, when I apply for jobs, should I be up front about this fact? It's something I'm sure comes up on background checks.

Thank you!

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I don't get it

If you went through all the trouble of transing your gender and changing your name then I'd think you'd want to be looked at through the filter of the person who you are right now.

The truth is the person who got certified back then was NOT the person you are today. In the absence of any experience or application of the skills it's about nothing lost/nothing gained

You changed sexes to put your life in true alignment is a guess on my part. If so, then having accomplished the act and BECOME who you want to be, why would you want to draw this kind of attention to the person you were? With whom do you choose to identify, her or him? I thought you figured that out.

If you haven't already realized that a decision to change your gender means you're going to have to re-start from scratch a whole lot of elements of your life as you literally re-create yourself, then I'm not sure you thought the whole process out to its fullest.

...and then again, with no disrespect intended, you could be pulling our leg! If you don't know if this would show up on your background check or not you did not get the minimal education you would need to make the choice you did.

Last edited by a moderator: