Treating hyperglycemia on a BLS level.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief

reaper

Working Bum
Do they not perform RSI? Or are they improperly storing their drugs? We have a number of drugs that have to be refrigerated.

Sucs can be stored out of refridgeration for up to two weeks. I have never worked in a system that kept it refridgerated on a truck. It is swapped out every two weeks!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Sucs can be stored out of refridgeration for up to two weeks. I have never worked in a system that kept it refridgerated on a truck. It is swapped out every two weeks!

What a waste. You can buy a small fridge cheaply. Plus besides sucs we carry other drugs that last longer stored cool.

reaper

Working Bum
Sucs run around $2 a vial. That is a cheap price for less strain on a trucks electrical system.

If more systems carried insulin, then I could see the need for it.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Last edited by a moderator:

BruceD

Forum Lieutenant
I really, really do not need you tell me that I don't know how to care and treat diabetic patients and that my question "reflects the lack of knowledge" that I posses.

I am not yet an EMT and I have not yet taken an EMT class. I'm an explorer who is trying to learn a few things about patient care.

If you didn't mean that as an insult, I apologize for jumping out on you like that....

Anyways,

Let's say the pt is not diabetic, and has a BGL of 220 and is "not feeling right"... What can cause that? And once again, there is nothing that can be done for the pt? Is there anything that can cause a false-high reading?

This is probably off topic now, but if it's not been posted:
Diabetes would be diagnosed as
1)a fasting bg > 126
2)a bg of >200 with any dm symptoms
3)a bg of >200 after a 75g loading dose of glucose(glucola)

A high bg can also occur during periods off stress, infection,etc.

Keep up the learning!
Rid - glad you got that under control.