trauma scenario help

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
Yes I am. Actually we are not supposed to have assistants in testing. That's what they told us all 3 months during class and before testing too. We have "imaginary" assistants who splint, bandage, and hold C-spine, and help us turn them over to assess the back. We have to do vitals, sample, opqrst, all that.

That sounds incredibly, incredibly easy.

If all EMT's are assuming that the imaginary assistant is performing C-spine, rolling, posterior assessment during the "rapid trauma assessment", as well as spliting and bandaging... who's going to do those things on scene? They'll never have been assessed on those aspects of the trauma patient.

What state are you in, if you don't mine me asking? I'll remember to pray extra hard while driving through :)

Wow I have a really dumb question. Please don't judge me. For patients with step-off, aren't you supposed to put a collar on?

A step-off? Falling off or down a flight of stairs? If I find them there? Sure.

If I show up and they've walked around for ten minutes? Neuro exam, distal pulse/motor/sensory function intact? I'd like to think I could make an educated decision and not board them. I'll have to check our protocols for the exact specifics.

My trauma test was a breeze! We had a bystander that could help with the log roll and hold c-spine when the patient wasn't being rolled. My partner is a bright guy and we planned our entire assessment with both of us in each role.