Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
K

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant
Obviously you should immobilize the victim. Here in Portugal is also very common in the triage nurses remove the immobilization equipment from patients, but it is their responsibility. From the moment that we deliver the patient in triage nurse, it is no longer our responsibility, but if we do not the immobilize the patient and follow the protocols, and the patient develops some complication, then it will be our responsibility, and we will have to answer for it!

BTW, I apologize for any mistake, I still have to improve my English

That's kinda my thought, error to the side of caution.

Not bad on the English, better than some of us native to it lol

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
There was an issue once with a department in my area. EMTs took all c-spine precautions after an elderly gentleman fell. Got him to the hospital, the ER thought the crew was being over-zealous, and took off all the precautions without any x-rays or scans, and sent him home. Guy ended up back at the hospital a while later, complaining if extreme pain. Turns out he had a couple broken vertebra.

Too long dont read:: do what your protocols tell you. You aren't in the ER, and your protocols are there for a reason.

---
- This post brought to you by Tapatalk

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
There was an issue once with a department in my area. EMTs took all c-spine precautions after an elderly gentleman fell. Got him to the hospital, the ER thought the crew was being over-zealous, and took off all the precautions without any x-rays or scans, and sent him home. Guy ended up back at the hospital a while later, complaining if extreme pain. Turns out he had a couple broken vertebra.

Too long dont read:: do what your protocols tell you. You aren't in the ER, and your protocols are there for a reason.

---

However, he was able to ambulate around for a few hours without doing any damage. Stable fractures of the vertebrae are rarely life threatening.

Protocols don't cover every situation. NEXUS proved physical exam is better at finding c-spine injury than plain films anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
However, he was able to ambulate around for a few hours without doing any damage. Stable fractures of the vertebrae are rarely life threatening.

Protocols don't cover every situation. NEXUS proved physical exam is better at finding c-spine injury than plain films anyway.

Yes, but it still would have been the crews *** in the line if they hadn't taken all the precautions. And I'm sure this 90 year old man, who from the story is bed-bound, would hardly be moving around enough to easily unstabilize it.

And what I'm getting at is hospitals sometimes overlook things, or get lazy. It's no excuse not to backboard/collar a patient even though your protocols tell you to.

---

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Yes, but it still would have been the crews *** in the line if they hadn't taken all the precautions. And I'm sure this 90 year old man, who from the story is bed-bound, would hardly be moving around enough to easily unstabilize it.

And what I'm getting at is hospitals sometimes overlook things, or get lazy. It's no excuse not to backboard/collar a patient even though your protocols tell you to.

---

I've yet to come across a convincing reason TO c-collar and backboard a patient, I only do it as it is required by protocol. Find me evidence it improves outcomes in any way and I'll consider changing my mind.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
I've yet to come across a convincing reason TO c-collar and backboard a patient, I only do it as it is required by protocol. Find me evidence it improves outcomes in any way and I'll consider changing my mind.

Amen to that!

DESERTDOC

Forum Lieutenant
I think you did a good job and looked out for your patient. Given the damage done to them, broken jaw, I would have done the same thing. Just because the physician removed all of your work before evaluating his patient fully, does not mean you did anything wrong.

There is no way in hell he can tell if there is spinal column damage without a film. Now, he may have guessed right, but what a gamble on his part.

Also, spinal column vice spinal cord. One is a neuro exam the other ortho.

Good choice on yours.

Last edited by a moderator: