Tourniquet Pants

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
so i was reading my latest issue of American handugnner when i came across a pair of these bad boys. these pants called the Warrior Wear Tactical I.T.S pants. these pants have four built in tourniquets on both legs one on each ankle and thigh, one hand self activation. so basically you activate these pants and put an "auto-tourniquets on each one of the zones or just one. what do you guys think of these things? should people really believe that it is a good idea to apply a tourniquets whenever they, break a leg or sever a femoral artery? i think that they would be great for survival gear though. do you think civilians should wear these things without knowing the risk to benefit ratio?

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=871Y01

follow the above link for a video demonstration.

rmellish

Forum Captain
When you follow the link it says product is no longer in catalog.

Seems like a case of "If you market it right, they will buy"

Apologizing for ridiculous field of dreams reference. :)

OP
OP
mikeylikesit

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
ooops it was there earlier. yeah i think they are cool if your a hardcore wilderness buff, like the guy who had to chop off his arm to free himself from the boulder.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
These pants are being designed/marketed towards the "Security Contractor" industry... 5.11's are currently the "standard"... Blackhawk is one of several companies to recently come out with pants that have additionally features.

The idea, with these pants, is that the tourniquet is already around the limb, and is under any body armor, LBE, or weapon holsters... thereby being more effective. Additionally, the application time is reduced, because the subject just has to activate the tourniquet.

Tourniquets are saving lives in Iraq/Afghanistan.

I'm not sold on the idea of the average civialain wearing them. I'm also not sure on the price point... but BrigadeQM.com is showing the shirt as costing 2x a similar 5.11 shirt. I'm assuming the pants are similarry priced. I've got a hard enough time spending $30-$40 on a pair of pants... the pants better wash themselves if they cost $80. I think that some of the die-hard gadget gurus, gear junkies, and wannabe contractors will buy them...but I'm sure most of these guys already own a touriquet or two... because it is "cool"
As for the average person - I don't see them going on sale at Cabela's or WallyWorld anytime soon. I'd be more concerned if that was the case.

Jon