Toughest Place to be a Paramedic

julesdamedic

Forum Probie
Hi All:

I recently helped with an accelerated EMT course in Guatemala City. It was amazing to see the lack of resources and the violence that the local fire fighter/paramedics have to handle on a day-to-day basis. Here are a few links for videos and info for anyone who is interested. Please share these with others because the more attention they get the more resources they'll likely receive.

Thanks!

http://www.ems1.com/ems-products/ap...2-Guatemalas-Bomberos-Doing-much-with-little/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rORB6S2MwyU

http://www.facebook.com/decimaCBV

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
I was searching all over for a vid of the BBC episode a few weeks ago. I will watch later! Thanks!

OP
OP
julesdamedic

julesdamedic

Forum Probie
Thank you! We have so much in the U.S. I hope to help the Bomberos in some small way. :)

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
I'm Guatemalan.

When I read this:

"considered one of the most dangerous places in the world"

I lol'd and just clicked out of the window, seriously. Guatemala has its violence just like every other place on Earth but to be considered one of the most dangerous places in the world? No way.

I do agree about their lack of resources. I saw a show on tv about Medical services in Central America/South America. A couple of years ago SD Fire donated a couple of fire trucks to them.

OP
OP
julesdamedic

julesdamedic

Forum Probie
Thank you for your comments. :) I hope to get the guys more gear, so thank you for your insight and post!

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Wait dont go.. I have to ask... did you try shucos? :D

OP
OP
julesdamedic

julesdamedic

Forum Probie
Nope, but we had a very tasty cookout! The guacamole is awesome!

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
How long were you there for?

What do you believe Emergency personnel in Guatemala could do differently to improve patient care and response times?

OP
OP
julesdamedic

julesdamedic

Forum Probie
That's a very good question. I was there for a couple weeks. Because I was there for such a limited time, I'm no expert on changing the system. I just want to help as best I can.

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
That is still pretty awesome. At least you got some real life experience and a first hand look on how things are handled in other countries. Definitely a life experience you will never forget!

:beerchug:

OP
OP
julesdamedic

julesdamedic

Forum Probie
Absolutely! I feel privileged to have met the Bomberos of Company 10, and plan to return as soon as I am able. :)

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm Guatemalan.

When I read this:

"considered one of the most dangerous places in the world"

I lol'd and just clicked out of the window, seriously. Guatemala has its violence just like every other place on Earth but to be considered one of the most dangerous places in the world? No way.

How long ago did you live there? Our family has friends who run a christian ministry in the country, and spend about 4-5 months each year there. (With about another 1-2 months in El Salvador.) They've talked about how the county has gotten much more dangerous even in the past few years, something the BBC documentary mentioned. I'm just curious if things are just recently starting to downward spiral.

That said, watching the BBC documentary? Wow. Just.... wow.