Too old?

Scotty STL

Forum Ride Along
Just starting my EMT training and won't have my medic degree until I'm 44. Is that too old to get hired on to county/city fire-rescue?
I have a feeling it is but I was just curious about anyone's experiences or input on the subject.

Thanks,
Scotty

St. Louis, MO

cfd3091

Forum Crew Member
I started the fire academy at 54. Got my first professional EMS job at 52. They can't deny you the job because of age. Just make sure you are fit enough for the training and the job, because they will show you the door if your not. That is the same for any age by the way.

terrible one

Always wandering
I started the fire academy at 54. Got my first professional EMS job at 52. They can't deny you the job because of age. Just make sure you are fit enough for the training and the job, because they will show you the door if your not. That is the same for any age by the way.

Actually several departments have age cut offs, most being around 36. Talk to the departments you're interested in and see what the requirements/qualifications are.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Here in Indiana the age cutoff is 35 to be hired by a municipal fire dpt. It's a retirement 'thing'.

In the city of Indianapolis, you won't get hired by the IFD if you're over 35, but you CAN work for the IEMS (the DPS sister agency that does EMS for the city & Marion Co). I was hired there at 38. :) I believe my age was a huge asset to me in being hired, life experience and maturity being on my side, even though I had no prior EMS experience.

cfd3091

Forum Crew Member
Actually several departments have age cut offs, most being around 36. Talk to the departments you're interested in and see what the requirements/qualifications are.
Forgot about that. Very few if any southern Dept.'s have adopted that practice.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Forgot about that. Very few if any southern Dept.'s have adopted that practice.

Here in NM and over in TX it's common

cfd3091

Forum Crew Member
I've heard the retirement excuse, but at least here it doesn't apply. I'll have 11 years in at 65 and will get an unreduced retirement. Seems like a dept. is eliminating a lot of qualified people with arbitrary cutoff like that.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I've heard the retirement excuse, but at least here it doesn't apply. I'll have 11 years in at 65 and will get an unreduced retirement. Seems like a dept. is eliminating a lot of qualified people with arbitrary cutoff like that.

Eh, when you have an overabundance of applicants I don't think that factors in too much

cfd3091

Forum Crew Member
Eh, when you have an overabundance of applicants I don't think that factors in too much
Yeah I see your point, but then I guess you have to be flexible with the definition of qualified. One of my duties is to do fitness training for the academy. Lately we have been getting quite a few rookies that not in as good condition as one would expect from people in their 20's . Often I have 40+ aged rookies that can smoke them.

EMSComeLately

Forum Crew Member
Just starting my EMT training and won't have my medic degree until I'm 44. Is that too old to get hired on to county/city fire-rescue?
I have a feeling it is but I was just curious about anyone's experiences or input on the subject.

Thanks,
Scotty

St. Louis, MO

I'm 45 and currently in class at BJC Christian Northeast! I certainly don't hope I'm too old, though I realistically expect to only get employed in private services and also expect to continue to the paramedic level.

Best wishes to us...the old folks.

Last edited by a moderator:

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Here in NM and over in TX it's common

yeah, this is true. Civil service departments cut off at 36. And I've seen more and more job ads for non civil service departments saying no older than 35-36 too.

then again, there are so many new fresh 23 year old grads out there, that you have a huge uphill battle anyway. your mileage may vary. I knew a guy in his early 40s that a fire department picked up but he was in fantastic shape, prior military, bilingual (english/spanish) ....

OP
OP
S

Scotty STL

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all input, folks, it seems that I have some work ahead of me to figure out what the local services allow.

jeepdude911

Forum Crew Member
I thought I was getting into the field late when I was 28 and went to EMT school. That was 20+ years ago. I have always paid particular attention to body mechanics, and for that reason, have outlasted many of my peers. I don't mind aging in the field, it's just the comments from the younger guys, like "Was your first code 3 response on horseback?" I laugh and remind them that while they were wetting their diapers, I was doing chest compressions. I love this job.

Mainspring

Forum Crew Member
"Was your first code 3 response on horseback?"

:rofl:

I'm getting up there in age... dang young chickens better not be shooting off there mouths or they'll get one right on the grill... <_<

in seriousness, I found a white nostril hair today... pretty depressing to be honest... :rolleyes: :glare: