Today I start EMT school.

ScottTheIntubator

Forum Ride Along
Well,

It's been a little over two years since I took Emergency Medical Responder and then upped in the Army. Let's hope I don't forget anything. Wish me luck and any advice, good or bad is welcome.

Thank you,
Scott.

Apple Bill

Forum Crew Member
I posted this yesterday to another.

Read, read, then read.
My instructors said to plan on 2 hours of study for each hour of class. Not a bad rule of thumb to start, I wound up more 1:1 and it worked for me. Read before class and write down definitions and notes. Make flashcards of definitions, acronyms and processes. Anywhere we drove, my wife would bring the cards and quiz me as I drove. And at the dinner table.
Sit up front and pay attention. Ask questions. Answer questions, whether you know 100% or not. Try.
If you get a workbook with your textbook, use it. I'd read the chapter a couple times, get to where I could answer the objective questions at the end, then treat my workbook as a test. If I missed something in the workbook, I'd go back and study that. When it came time for the tests, they were a breeze.
Work hard and do well.

OP
OP
ScottTheIntubator

ScottTheIntubator

Forum Ride Along
I posted this yesterday to another.

Read, read, then read.
My instructors said to plan on 2 hours of study for each hour of class. Not a bad rule of thumb to start, I wound up more 1:1 and it worked for me. Read before class and write down definitions and notes. Make flashcards of definitions, acronyms and processes. Anywhere we drove, my wife would bring the cards and quiz me as I drove. And at the dinner table.
Sit up front and pay attention. Ask questions. Answer questions, whether you know 100% or not. Try.
If you get a workbook with your textbook, use it. I'd read the chapter a couple times, get to where I could answer the objective questions at the end, then treat my workbook as a test. If I missed something in the workbook, I'd go back and study that. When it came time for the tests, they were a breeze.
Work hard and do well.
I was able to grab http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1423...dpID=61Kv51LoAML&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40 this off of Amazon, and the two pocket bls and als guides. I plan on making or getting flash cards as well. The instructor is a good instructor as he taught my emr class over two years ago and is the Chief for a local EMS service. I will as you suggested read and read and read. Using the workbook for assignments is a general part of the class/coursework, so I'm hoping that will play in my favor. in downtime at the station or hospital that I am doing clinicals with you can bet your lucky stars I'll be studying and reading. I find that rewriting anything important numerous times helps me to remember.

Thank you,
-Scott.

Apple Bill

Forum Crew Member
I'd recommend making our own flash cards. Making them is one more chance to commit it to memory.
I plan on making or getting flash cards as well.
I find that rewriting anything important numerous times helps me to remember.

Our class required us to turn in the workbook for a grade before tests. I was amazed at how many people scrambled to fill in answers before class just to get the 10 points for their workbook, instead of using it as a study tool.

OP
OP
ScottTheIntubator

ScottTheIntubator

Forum Ride Along
I'd recommend making our own flash cards. Making them is one more chance to commit it to memory.

Our class required us to turn in the workbook for a grade before tests. I was amazed at how many people scrambled to fill in answers before class just to get the 10 points for their workbook, instead of using it as a study tool.
Definitely going to make my own flash cards. Rewriting things helps me remember them, I rewrote my patient assessment about 50 times to get in implanted. When I took emr (emergency medical responder) people were trying to copy each other right before workbook turn in. It was ludicrous. These are the same people that barely scraped by in the lab assessments as well.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Good luck!

emsbroadcast

Forum Probie
I recommend get a supplement study guide from NREMT Academy (http://NREMTAcademy.com). It comes with the core material breakdown as well as sample questions online. It will give you a little edge in the class as well as preparing for the National Registry Exam.

Attachments

• aa1.png
    aa1.png
    163.8 KB · Views: 309

RefriedEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I found that writing down every possible subjective and objective finding for any given emergency and creating my own little protocol form helped that way anytime I could not remember every possible sign/symptom or question that needed to be asked of the patient/family/bystander/care taker then I took a quick glance at it. I built it using the same format as Thurston County Medic One protocol app which you can find easily on the net.

OP
OP
ScottTheIntubator

ScottTheIntubator

Forum Ride Along
I found that writing down every possible subjective and objective finding for any given emergency and creating my own little protocol form helped that way anytime I could not remember every possible sign/symptom or question that needed to be asked of the patient/family/bystander/care taker then I took a quick glance at it. I built it using the same format as Thurston County Medic One protocol app which you can find easily on the net.
Thank you sir. I am doing the Google for that right now.

JakeMeyer

Forum Ride Along
Hey Scott ... there are several great refresher course offered online ... you may want to consider looking into that and shake out some of those moths ... thank you for your service and good luck!