to those who know about radios...

rsm688

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
Okay well I'm new here and I'm now a volunteer First Responder with my local EMS and we have to provide our own radios (VHF). Anyways, I adon't know much about radios and have a few questions.

I have a Motorola MTX850-LS radio that I found in a parking lot a year or two ago that works and I was wondering if it is a VHF radio or not? I googled and cant find any real information about it.

If not what model radio would you guys reccommend?

Thanks,
Spencer

Sell the MTX850-LS on ebay, buy an older motorola p1225 or HT1000 on ebay and have the local motorola shop program it for you.

Thats what I would do.

Find it's owners and return it.

Check the serial number and examine it for any ID plates etc. If nothing else, charge it up , press xmit and say "Hullo??".

Check the serial number and examine it for any ID plates etc. If nothing else, charge it up , press xmit and say "Hullo??".

a BIG +1 on that.. return the radio to the rightful owner/agency. Those radios are not cheap by any means. If you cannot locate an ID plate or information on the owner, turn it into your local police dept with a description of where and when you found it at.

I dont know if charging it up and keying up the microphone will be very effective. The radio might be out of range of the tower system it was designed to work with, or the agency that operates the radio system may have locked the radio out of the system so it cannot function. this is done similar to a cell phone via the ID number the radio electronically emits. This is done to prevent theft and misuse...and is a common feature of trunked radio systems, both digital and non-digital

It's funb in the locker room at work...

littole radio voices whispering out of the lockers they were rat-holed in by the deputies who "mislaid" them.

Back