To Run Hot or Not?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
There is no protocol or guideline whatsoever for when we should and shouldn't run hot. I would challenge anyone that works for a private to find/quote such a protocol...the only thing said about it to us at my service was that little defensive driving video they showed us during orientation....besides that its more or less a free for all haha

Some people have the attitude of "running hot for a private ambulance is stupid no matter what the call" others have the attitude of "well that SOB or Altered MS could be anything...." Ive been at this for 2 years, and ive seen both sides of the coin... sometimes you get there and the SOB is really just mild hypoxia...94% on 3 lpm for the last 4 hours...other times its severe CHF...Ive had an altered mental that when we got there the lady was barley concious, pulse of 20...Ive had to argue with some people to light up for chest pain....granted, these are the exceptions, not the rules...

Where do you draw the line? ensure the safety of those on the road (which you can only do so much of anyway, true emergency or not) or do you expedite response and transport based on an overall lack of competent care in certain facilities?

Who has more responsibility....the EMT driving, or the Medic writing the call that is ultimatley responsible for the pt.'s overall wellfare...?

theirin lies my dillemma, I don't think the issue is so black and white..
While that isn't completely uncommon, it does mean that, if you were to get in an accident while returning to the stadium emergently, you and the driver are completely and utterly screwed. Not only were you doing something that wasn't needed and was done for stupid reasons, but there's not even a company policy to back you up on it.

There are times to turn on the lights and sirens, but they aren't as common as a lot of people think. Going back to quarters/your post/service area is NEVER a time for it.

I don't know about Ohio, but where I am the statutes that cover emergency responces still have the phrase "with due regard" listed in them. Lights and sirens don't give you carte blanche to do what you want; hell in city traffic I often use them just to to clear a path, not to speed.

While the driver would probably take the hit if there was an accident, some blame could, and really should be shifted to whoever was responsible for the patient. If you have a non-critical patient, or anyone else who doesn't need an emergent trip to the hospital, you are responsible for making sure the driver knows that and is proceeding accordingly.