Tips for a Noob Army 11C?

R3cov3yOne

Forum Ride Along
any idea's or suggestions that someone like myself could use going in to this career field?

Background-

6 years 11C
7 years father/husband *read out of shape and slightly overweight*

Earned my Associate's majoring in Healthcare Administration.

Am starting my local CC "accelerated 32 week "zero to hero"(for what that's worth) certification/classes in about two months.

So, any knowledge, tips, suggestions or real life stories that could apply to me please feel free to impart. Success is equal part preparation, education and execution.

joegrizzly

Forum Crew Member
If you don't mind me asking, is 11C Army or am I way off the mark? There are quite a few other threads asking the same thing so some of the things that might be said or not said here you could try and find there. My two cents that I try and throw to anyone who is starting as an EMT is to just relax. Knowing your skills and knowledge is everything but translating it to the patient in a calming manner takes practice, and the best way to do that is by relaxing. Talk to your patient like a person, not a number. Also be consistent with your care. Try and treat your 20th patient contact of the day just like you did on your first. You might be ran into the ground, starving, and miserable; but this could be the first time your patient has even been in an ambulance, make a positive impression that you are there to help and that you care. Best of luck in all things, if you are coming from the military I really think you've stumbled on a profession that you will love. Coming from the military myself, every day here is challenging and different than the last and every morning going to work feels like some sort of positive crappy Christmas because you never know what your going to experience.

OP
OP
R

R3cov3yOne

Forum Ride Along
If you don't mind me asking, is 11C Army or am I way off the mark? There are quite a few other threads asking the same thing so some of the things that might be said or not said here you could try and find there. My two cents that I try and throw to anyone who is starting as an EMT is to just relax. Knowing your skills and knowledge is everything but translating it to the patient in a calming manner takes practice, and the best way to do that is by relaxing. Talk to your patient like a person, not a number. Also be consistent with your care. Try and treat your 20th patient contact of the day just like you did on your first. You might be ran into the ground, starving, and miserable; but this could be the first time your patient has even been in an ambulance, make a positive impression that you are there to help and that you care. Best of luck in all things, if you are coming from the military I really think you've stumbled on a profession that you will love. Coming from the military myself, every day here is challenging and different than the last and every morning going to work feels like some sort of positive crappy Christmas because you never know what your going to experience.

Yes, guilty as charged. Army. Where all the kids too dumb for the Air Force and not crazy enough for the Marines go. /humor

Thank you for you suggestion.

I think that is what I will have the hardest time with is treating each call as a "first time".

It's human nature to evolve your interactions with people based on the previous experiences that you have had.

Again, thank you for your reply.

MrJones

Iconoclast
Take it from a retired 1SG turned EMT turned Paramedic student: You'll be fine.

Then again, if you couldn't avoid a job that involves humping a tube or a baseplate for 6 years....

I keed, I keed.

;)

OP
OP
R

R3cov3yOne

Forum Ride Along
Take it from a retired 1SG turned EMT turned Paramedic student: You'll be fine.

Then again, if you couldn't avoid a job that involves humping a tube or a baseplate for 6 years....

I keed, I keed.

;)

Lemme tell you about that damn Baseplate ><

joegrizzly

Forum Crew Member
Yes, guilty as charged. Army. Where all the kids too dumb for the Air Force and not crazy enough for the Marines go. /humor

I know that on and around base its better to hide if you were in the military or not because everyone around is either a hooyah, jarhead, squid, or flyboy. Out here in the other world though don't sell yourself short on your military time, it will no joke help you land a job. I'm not saying walk into an interview wearing your dress blues with a high and tight so buckled down it's ready to rip off and slap god in the face. But do sell that you were in the military especially if you have trigger time, because between myself and I'm sure many other veterans it has helped land us a job. Your going to do great man, just apply the same work ethic from the military to EMS and your golden.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I was 11B so I remember you guys always huffing it a ways behind me with that heavy *** equipment. Anyway use your Post 911 gi bill, bleed until its dry man. worked for me ;-)

Veneficus

Forum Chief
What is an 11b and 11c for us non-army folk?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
It use to be
11B Light Infantry (Rifle man)
11C Indirect fire Infantryman (Mortar man)

OP
OP
R

R3cov3yOne

Forum Ride Along
On a side note, did an admin change my title of this post to say "noob" 11c?

I daresay I didn't/wouldn't type that, so its kind of awkward to realize that maybe someone is pranking or messing with me.

Either way, please change it back.

OP
OP
R

R3cov3yOne

Forum Ride Along
I was 11B so I remember you guys always huffing it a ways behind me with that heavy *** equipment. Anyway use your Post 911 gi bill, bleed until its dry man. worked for me ;-)

Yeah I found out the GI Bill doesn't cover Con Ed classes.
The only thing I have is the MyCaa through my wife who is active duty.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member

Word... Get on Chapter 33 post 9/11 Bill if you can, then get registered for school full time. Take Spanish or take sign language, take whatever might be slightly relevant that'll fill your schedule to make you full time.. Then you'll get a stipend and BAH if you can fill it up.. Don't sign it over to your kids until you're absolutely positive you won't need it anymore

Then forget everything you learned an CLS so you can make brain-room for new protocols. ;)

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Word... Get on Chapter 33 post 9/11 Bill if you can, then get registered for school full time. Take Spanish or take sign language, take whatever might be slightly relevant that'll fill your schedule to make you full time.. Then you'll get a stipend and BAH if you can fill it up.. Don't sign it over to your kids until you're absolutely positive you won't need it anymore

Then forget everything you learned an CLS so you can make brain-room for new protocols. ;)
haha agree %100 with this.

911bru

Forum Probie

He can't pass his ch 33 to anyone since he isn't in any more. Transfer of benefits only can happen while active duty and it requires you to have served 6 years an then reenlist 4 more years to complete 10 years.
... But yea use your ch 33 !!

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
He can't pass his ch 33 to anyone since he isn't in any more. Transfer of benefits only can happen while active duty and it requires you to have served 6 years an then reenlist 4 more years to complete 10 years.
... But yea use your ch 33 !!

Oh yup, that's right that's right.. You're right, forgive me..

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
What is an 11b and 11c for us non-army folk?

11B - Beast of burden with the direct-fire heavy weapons kit (M240, etc).
11C- Smarter beasts of burden with mortars instead.

One of my fondest memories was working with 1-37AR's mortar platoon. They were barracked in the same hall as us, and they were insane. Like, keggers at 2am on a Tuesday in the barracks, weighing fat girls in some sort of arcane pre-intercourse ritual (the smallest guy in the platoon had a thing for chubby women), doing everything in fire-team elements (and yes, I do mean everything)- good times. The six medics barracked right in the middle of Mortar Alley were busy (I got to the point where I left a little chart on my door to tell them where I was on the weekends).

One fine night early into my enlistment, our mortars were on a training exercise in the Franklin Mountains. They broke out their fire-control radio set (good) and called in a notional mortar strike on coordinates corresponding to Mexico. Then they lased the giant Mexican flag at the Downtown border crossing with their giant laser-thingie (JLIST- the big OD-green optics box) (less good). Then they called the Range Control OIC (an O-6) a few choice words on the radio. (Not at all good). Cue 45 days of extra duty, wearing full kit everywhere from 0400 to 2359 at work, digging full mortar fighting positions every night in odd places around Fort Bliss and filling them in after they were textbook-perfect. I felt for them.

The funniest part was when, after all that, they won the brigade's best platoon trophy for 2009. Our medical platoon didn't even qualify for the second round in any event.

joegrizzly

Forum Crew Member
Yeah I found out the GI Bill doesn't cover Con Ed classes.
The only thing I have is the MyCaa through my wife who is active duty.

Look for an AA program with a fire science or tech course. I'm going to be finishing my AA, with EMT included, A&P for future medic school and a few other great classes with a state accredited fire academy all paid for under chap 33 GI Bill. Do some shopping around and get what you earned brahseph.

Ninja Edit: The reason you are looking for a fire science program is because some fire academies require you to have EMT before getting to the academy, and then it doesn't count as a cont. ed. PM me if you have any questions or even about what your location is if you need any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

R3cov3yOne

Forum Ride Along
Look for an AA program with a fire science or tech course. I'm going to be finishing my AA, with EMT included, A&P for future medic school and a few other great classes with a state accredited fire academy all paid for under chap 33 GI Bill. Do some shopping around and get what you earned brahseph.

Ninja Edit: The reason you are looking for a fire science program is because some fire academies require you to have EMT before getting to the academy, and then it doesn't count as a cont. ed. PM me if you have any questions or even about what your location is if you need any help.

thank you sir.

So chap 33 covers EMT school?

How would I register/sign up for my Va in that case. In the past, I have always spoken to the FA department, would I just do the same even though their Cont Ed is completely separate from the school?

MrJones

Iconoclast
thank you sir.

So chap 33 covers EMT school?

How would I register/sign up for my Va in that case. In the past, I have always spoken to the FA department, would I just do the same even though their Cont Ed is completely separate from the school?

If the school has applied and been certified by VA then yes, chapter 33 will cover EMT school. They paid for my EMT training at a stand-alone school (SOLO in NH), and are currently funding my Paramedic training at a state University. Talk to the admissions/registrar folks, or the VA liaison office if they have one, at whatever school you choose and they'll point you in the right direction.

Generally speaking, though, if you haven't already done so you need to apply to VA to get an eligibility statement. That's easiest done via VONAPP. Once you have that, the rest is fairly straightfoward (or as straight forward as it can be with VA involved.)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

R3cov3yOne

Forum Ride Along
Just got off the phone with the school's VA rep. bad news. They are not a "certified" program with the VA, as they are only con ed. Sounds to me like the con part is true tho.

If a program isn't "certified" with the VA, does that mean its not a "legit" program? In other words, am I going to have a hard time finding employment once I "graduate" because its not "certified".