Time for boots again!

Forum Probie
Reaction score
Im starting a new job next month and my old Haix Rescues are about done. Theyre 3 years old, and have served me well. I was disappointed to learn that Haix no longer makes the Rescues, instead they have been replaced with a much more expensive model. I figure if I'm going to get boots in the 200+ range, I would go with some Danners. I tried on the 8" Recon today, and really liked those. As I was walking out, the salesman showed me the "new" 5.11 ATAC Shield. Those look nice too. However I do like that the Danners can be rebuilt. On the same token, I can buy two pair of the 5.11's for the price of the Danners. Someone help please. The only experience I have is with my Haix's. Thanks.

I've posted recently about boots in this thread: http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=20619 You will find some other suggestions there, too. If you're interested in Danner because they're re-craftable, make sure you're actually looking at a re-craftable model; not all Danners are. The ones I had (mentioned in the other thread) were not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've posted recently about boots in this thread: http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=20619 You will find some other suggestions there, too. If you're interested in Danner because they're re-craftable, make sure you're actually looking at a re-craftable model; not all Danners are. The ones I had (mentioned in the other thread) were not.

Very important. That being said, all I wear are Danners. I have a pair of Acadias, a pair of Ft. Lewis 600g NMTs, a pair of sidezip Strikers and a pair or regular Strikers. I like all of them. I use my side zip Strikers mostly at work so I can get in or out of them quickly. I do switch to the Ft. Lewis in the winter though. Keeps my foots nice and toasty. I can't really wear them year round. The Strikers are perfect for summer, but in the winter I would freeze in them. The Acadias I can wear year round as I have the 200gs. Not too to hot in the summer, just barely enough insulation for the winter. Now though I usually keep them polished and spit shined for dress though. So I don't usually wear them on duty.

You can't go wrong with Danners though. More expensive, yes, but worth it. I walked hiked and climbed probably almost 1,000 miles in my Acadias before I had them rebuilt. They didn't really need it even, I just figured that I would get it done as there were a few things that did need it. Loose eyelet or two, some loose stitching, nothing major. I've been wearing my Strikers as station boots and duty boots for 3 years now and no problems. I wear them often at home as well. The sole is finally wearing down a little, but there is plenty more left in them. I bet you I will get at least two more years out of them. If you ask me, 5 years with no maintenance is pretty darn good.

No problem with my Shields. I can spend 24 hours in them just fine.

i found a lot at thefirestore.com i have to order some better boots myself soon, im looking a the 5.11 atac

CT,
Another +1 on the Acadias. Matterhorn are nice too and a bit less expensive. On the cheap as I mentioned in a previous thread are US Army infantry combat boots. Goretex, replacable sole, shine up nice and wear forever and their is usually someone on the bay trying to get rid of a spare pair on the cheap. Belleville's is my brand of choice, Rocky being a close second.

Again, I'll go with converse boots...

And on another note... one of these threads again? Is the search button broken again?

I use the 5.11 Sleet and it is a very warm and waterproof boot for winter! I wear these with my black 5.11 tactical and then I switch to the 5.11 desert boot with my khaki 5.11 tactical in the summer. The 5.11 Sleet is a great winter boot, but too warm for me in the summer.

Back