Thoughts on King's American Ambulance in San Francisco?

Zen Paladin

Forum Probie
Thought about putting in an application, but am a bit hesitant. I know they do 911 their along with AMR and SFFD(which seems to be the main one). But they are only hiring full time, which might not be bad but when accounting for holdover(and mandated shifts) I would have to drive an hour there and back home and maybe get less than 6 hours of sleep before doing it again(was told its a 4/3-3/4 schedule with 12s only). I know Falck ALCO and AMR CoCo have similar issues(tried out with the latter and definitely was the case) but SF has three 911 providers but maybe it's the same deal since it's a big city? Plus the traffic, lots of homeless/drugs and the layout/structures of things. The parking situation from when I worked IFT seemed less than ideal since at a drop off the ambulances had to take up two lanes of a one way street(no ambulance bay).

Could still be good experience and I have no issues with the homeless or anything. Just being weary of not biting off more than I can chew. If anyone knows anything it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Just put it in. I imagine that if you apply to every single job opening in the Bay Area, you are only going to hear back from a couple of them. You are probably not going to be offered a job with all of them. If you work 911 in the Bay Area, you are going to deal with a ton of homeless no matter where you are. Some places hide them better than others, but they are everywhere.

OP
OP
Z

Zen Paladin

Forum Probie
Just put it in. I imagine that if you apply to every single job opening in the Bay Area, you are only going to hear back from a couple of them. You are probably not going to be offered a job with all of them. If you work 911 in the Bay Area, you are going to deal with a ton of homeless no matter where you are. Some places hide them better than others, but they are everywhere.
Fair points. Do you know anything about King American specifically? One thing is I am going back to school in the Fall(fully online asynchrnous for a business degree, trying to do policing long term). I can likely make it work doing full time and even for part time stuff would probably still do 3 shifts per week but not getting mandated or choosing to cut down if needed.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Nope, I have no specific info on King.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
They've outlasted every single ambulance service in the City and County of San Francisco since the turn of the 20th century including SFDPH. Don't know what exactly but that has to count for something....have no idea how they've done it, but there it is...

RsqCrack

Bandwidth Binge
It used to be King and AMR each had 4 ambulances on the 911 board. King seemed to have better crews, most of them I worked with had some AMR experience before moving to King. I remember King posting at Moscone and Marina Green, I can't remember their other posts.

pghmedic580

Forum Probie
I have a little bit of experience in San Francisco. King has been in the ambulance service for a long time and has a very good reputation for providing top-notch service in the City. They have been around since the late 1800s and are basically a family run business out of a home on Baker Street. That was 5 years ago though.

SFFD is hiring EMTs. H3 Level 1. H3L1
That’s where the rubber hits the road.
I worked as a paramedic intern with the SFFD and you’re gonna run a lot of calls. But if that’s what you wanna do. That’s what to go. You just have to have on an emergency vehicle to apply. Maybe less if those hours are in San Francisco itself.

I worked for AMR and San Mateo County as an EMT. And got a lot of good experience there. But when I was there, EMTs really only drove and never did very much patient care because every call was gonna be run by the ALS paramedic.