Thinking of moving

Firemedicdt

Forum Ride Along
I live in Florida however I hope to move to NC in a few years after I retire from the Fire Department. My goal is to continue working in NC as a medic at this point since I will no desire to start over as a Firefighter.

My question to anyone is: will I be able to test out in another state or will I be required to take the national board to become certified there?

I appreciate any input!

Diana

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I live in Florida however I hope to move to NC in a few years after I retire from the Fire Department. My goal is to continue working in NC as a medic at this point since I will no desire to start over as a Firefighter.

My question to anyone is: will I be able to test out in another state or will I be required to take the national board to become certified there?

I appreciate any input!

Diana
Welcome to EMTLife!

North Carolina's Office of EMS website has all of the details on reciprocity:

People currently holding EMS credentials from other states, the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT), the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO), or the National Academy of Emergency Dispatchers (NAED) may be issued a North Carolina EMS credential through legal recognition. People seeking legal recognition must reside in North Carolina, attend an EMS educational program in North Carolina, or work for a licensed North Carolina EMS provider

From what I can tell there is no need to be NREMT certified, and there isn't even a test.

Good luck!

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

Fire-based EMS is exceedingly rare in North Carolina. I work at one of the very few departments which use this model. It is almost exclusively municipal county-based, although some are 3rd service.

In NC the County must deliver EMS or contract it out.

From what I can tell there is no need to be NREMT certified, and there isn't even a test.

This is correct. If your NREMT-P is in good standing, you'll receive a 2 year temporary card and will be eligible for a 4 year card once you complete the standard recertification process (con-ed or refresher).

NCmedic42

Forum Ride Along
Christopher is correct if you have a florida cert there is nothing that you really need to do besides possibly go down to the state office and submit a letter of intent. Also if you are planning to move to the Raleigh Durham chapel hill area they all have very strong EMS services. If you plan to move to Durham let me know And I will let you know who to talk to about a job.