Thinking about joining the reserves

OP
OP
C

CIRUS454

Forum Crew Member
That's what I thought and have read on the discussion boards on Army's site. I don't think he was paying 100% attention when I was talking to him. He first asked me my age and I told him I was turning 34 next weekend. He immediately said "well that's a problem", your too old. You can be 33 turning 34when your in basic but you can't already be 34. I told him that I thought it was 35 and he said no. Oh well. I'll call and speak to a new one tomorrow lol.

airborne2chairborne

Forum Crew Member
always a good idea, I talked to at least 3 different recruiters from different offices for each branch and did a lot of research before I finally chose army. I would cite the regulation (AR 601-210) HOWEVER the last publication was in 2011 and it still says the max age is 42, the regulation in print hasn't caught up to current enlistment standards yet since the switch from 42 back down to 35 is pretty recent. I'll try to dig around for the memorandum and if I find it I'll post it

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
See if Air Guard Parajumpers is available for you. Need a local unit, meet stringent physical qualifications, and pass a hard school. Undoubtable get a deployment. (I saw some of my old rescue wing folks at Kandahar, but they were all in jr high by the time I retired).

airborne2chairborne

Forum Crew Member
mycroft- the cut off for air force is 27 (unfortunately out of CIRUS's age range), also last I heard air gaurd PJs are only accepting prior active duty personel with combat experience with slots going to prior active duty PJs first.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Thanks. Now even harder to get in, but entirely appropriate for the current situation.

airbornemedic11

You did what?
You might be able to get into the Army reserves or National Guard with a waiver, regarding your age. See if your paramedic training will help.
If they give you a waiver I would go Guard. I'm pretty sure Active won't take you because of the recent budget cuts. Regular army is really slimming down. But, Guard has Combat Aviation units, that means flight medics.
I did a deployment with the reserves 2 yrs ago. After we got back I waited 2 months and started looking around for a different unit to take me on another deployment. 36th ID in Texas had an aviation unit that was deploying 6 months later and they offered me flight medic school, immediately. Instead, I went with a civilian contractor. But the point is, the training NCO with this aviation unit was ready to sign me up. Apparently they are incredibly shorthanded regarding flight medics. You might have to do some time first and be just a regular Joe Medic, but it's worth it. Hooah.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Another good field would be Coast Guard or Border Patrol. They do far, far more than the average medic ever will and the BP makes much more money.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Another good field would be Coast Guard or Border Patrol. They do far, far more than the average medic ever will and the BP makes much more money.

BP has EMS trained agents depending on the sector, but unless you are BORSTARS(their specialized rescue unit) you are just a field agent with a jump bag. CG is awesome but as far as being on a heli, when I looked into it last year, the only flight medical personnel are rescue swimmers.