The stair chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
<moderator's snip - Personal attacks are not tolerated. >

Plain and simply, you've got all these wonderful visions of what could be done and are missing what actually should be done. That comes from your lack of experience, which is coming through here very loud and clear. People are calling you wrong all the time because you are; you're taking a very simple deal, proposing something that is not simple, not safe, and not neccasary, and then getting bent out of shape when someone tells you that you're wrong. If you want to go on believing that you are <moderator's snip> and full of wonderful high-speed knowledge and everyone else is just wrong and scared to try something new...ok. But I do pity anyone that you ever care for, and whatever neighborhood responce team you are part of. Just remember that the theory behind something and the reality of it are two entirely different things. You (and this is proved several times in various threads) don't seem to understand this. I hope that if you ever get to put your training to work in real time that you learn this lesson. But my guess is you won't.

You seem to be forgetting that the people that you deride for being old have been doing this for a long time, and have the experience that you lack. People are telling you not to do something because it has been done before with poor results; how do you think training evolves? Take their advice. Doesn't mean that you have to follow it, but listen, and keep it in the back of your head. It may save your *** someday. Don't go around thinking that you are more than what you really are, that will cause you severe problems if it hasn't allready.

Now, if you can't see the difference between dragging someone on the ground and lowering them down a potentially steep incline, you need to pack it in right now because you are a huge liability. You don't seem to realize that if you have no way to conrol the descent and your hold on the rope slips the pt will go into an uncontrolled slide to the bottom. You don't seem to realize that you will need people guiding the litter down. You don't seem to realize that if done appropriately the attendants will be attached to the litter so it won't be resting on the stairs.

It's nice that you want to help out and are taking all those wonderful classes, but there is a huge difference between what you do in class and who you will do in the field. Some things you learn will not always be neccasary, some will, and some will need improvements due to the situation and environment. Until you actually get to experience it, stop getting so upset when someone says that you are wrong.

<moderator's snip>

Last edited by a moderator:

DisasterMedTech

Forum Crew Member
You know, Ive had a few little health scares (ie cardiac) over the last few days and when I have my head on straight, I think about what you all are telling me. I am green. I honored to have been chosen to serve on my state's disaster response team. But as so many of you have reminded me, the more I know, the more I dont know. Shortly I will start working on my MS degree in Disaster Medicine and would like this to be a place where I have friends and mentors that I can come to when I hit a snag, or lose a patient. Im really sorry for my attitude since joining this forum. The little cardiac scares at age 33 finally kicked in tonight with all that perspective they are supposed to give you. There is so much you can all teach me. And when I come back from a deployment I can tell you about it, see what I did right, what I could improve and even ask you how. I always wanted to join the Service, especially the USCG but now Im kinda just tool old and too outta shape. So my functioning as a BLSS on IMERT is as close as Im likely to get. And thats good. because joining the "Service" is about the service...to others.

Sorry to one and all who I have offended. If any of you are from Chicago, or are going to be there on November 10th, maybe we could meet for coffee. Ill be there for a Domestic Disaster Preparedness course. Breaking in the new boots and uniform and being proud of it.

The last couple of days have been hard. My company didnt renew my contract so I lost my health insurance and so I have been taking it out on others. Never cool. But I look at it like this. If I can afford my uniforms and my pack, since I am out of work, I will have lots of time for deployments. If any of you would like to PM me I would be honored to get to know you and for you to get to know the real me. I spent a little over a year in med school before an accident took me out, so I feel a little ahead of the curve in terms of being a Basic. I would very much like to obtain EMT-T cert and start a contractor and consulting company. Thats just a little about me.

Hope to hear from any and all of you soon.

DMT Sends.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
As a reminder, personal attacks, insults, and other forms of bashing of our members will not be tolerated.

Infractions can and will be issued leading up to and/or including being banned from EMTLife.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.