The New Old.

H33

Forum Probie
So I have been in EMS for about 10 years now, most of which time I have tried to escape, Something to the effect of 7 as an EMT, 3 as an AEMT, and now a month as a Paramedic. I figured sense I could not escape I might as well as embrace the madness. I find myself feeling strangely, All my former class mates seem excited or scared, or some other strong emotion, I however feel nothing. Sure, I will say that I most certainly feel refreshed, I find myself more patient, more caring, and all of those warm fuzzy feelings that I can recall after getting past the initial scared feeling I assume we all feel as new EMT's. But somethings I think is missing, thinking back to my AEMT license I recall the same steps from EMT, Scared, followed by refreshed, followed by comfort bordering on boredom, followed by I need something more if I am going to keep doing this. Leaving out the obvious question of figuring out whats next when I get to that point, I am most concerned by the fact that I am not scared, I don't think its arrogance I have explored that thought quite in depth, I don't for a minute think that I am the best Paramedic there is, or even yet think that I am the best paramedic that I can be. I guess my concerns are; if I am skipping steps in the line, am I going burn out faster? Or is it arrogance creeping in that I am just not recognizing?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I had feelings such as this but in a different industry. For me it was boredom because of the lack of a current challenge.

It's time for you to set goals. Set a goal for the end of the year, and a list of tasks/goals on how to achieve it.

Talk with someone who has been there longer or who is higher than you. Work together on how to achieve that goal. You're more likely to accomplish a goal if someone is holding you accountable to it.

OP
OP
H33

H33

Forum Probie
I tend to agree with you, my current position does not really allow for anything new or challenging as to people that have been there longer, they don't exist, as to people that are higher well lets say that the notion of me being motivated would intimidate them in a way I do not believe that they could deal with. It's not that its a bad place to work in someways, quite frankly they pay really well, which is why I am working for them rather than the two jobs that they replaced. But your right I do believe I am bored. I had hoped that after I finished paramedic school that I would find the expanded scope challenging but to be honest as close as we are to hospitals it really does not matter and seems to be more of a hinderance then a benefit sometimes. I am currently finding my most fun on long IFT's, Don't tell anyone I even find that thought embarrassing. My current thoughts are about following my mentor up north to a relatively new company that is as rural as any you can find in this state.

Angel

Paramedic
i think its odd. if you are bored...why did you become a medic? or i guess i mean if you find this work boring why continue doing it?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
@H33 Another option would be, if you have a good working relationship with one of the higher ups, ask what projects they're working on and see if you can help them out in some way. That way you're not trying to out do them and you're not bored. Who knows, it may pay off (raise, bonus, a free dinner, promotion) in the long run.

OP
OP
H33

H33

Forum Probie
As to angel's point of why go through Paramedic School if I was already bored, couple of reasons, one its about 25,000 dollars more a year where I work,which is kind of nice, two being that after 10 years you have to move up or find someway out, I have tried getting out, over the years I have branched off more than once, very much as chimpie had suggested once I landed a 911 coordinator position, and the other I ended up with a position in at the EMA. Each time I stayed part time in EMS, then part time became more and more and eventually I would quit those positions to go back full time on the ambulance. In any case I think my point in all of this was to see if anyone had had experiences like mine, I don't feel this bone crushing boredom, I just seem to lack the fear/excitement that I felt beginning each level that I was at before, and my question is more of is that something that I should be concerned with?

Angel

Paramedic
I don't think you should be concerned with unless your patient care starts to suffer. It might be because you've been in the field for so long ...