The definition of "Field Save."

OP
OP
chico.medic

chico.medic

Forum Crew Member
the thing about some of our current polices is there's no wiggle room for instance, don't stop cpr if started...

we've had a number of calls where family or coworkers have started cpr on a man down long enough to gain lividity

~S~

Are you saying your local policies don't allow you to determine death in the field? I don't care if family starts cpr, but if their loved one has rigors, or levidity, it's DOA.

Here's our LEMSA's policy for it:

http://www.norcalems.org/pnp-manual..._Care_Policies/301_Determination_of_Death.doc

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Without a pulse is anyone alive? The point is, by resuscitating that woman, I gave her a chance to live on, a chance she otherwise would not have had. Granted, she died two days later.
I think the question is, what was her "Quality of life" in the hospital? Was she CAOx4 in ICU, and then just died from something else, or did she spend 2 days gorped out in the ICU on a vent and a feeding tube before the family could bring themselves to pull the plug?

One could be a save. The other is a "successful resusitation."

I've gotten pulses back a few times... all my pt's die well before hospital discharge, so I've not had a save yet.