the 100% directionless thread

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Oh and would you mention your concerns about the current investigation and pending results?

I don't know anything about Cypress Creek or any problems/ issues with them, but a current investigation would be a red flag and a hard pass for me.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I don't know anything about Cypress Creek or any problems/ issues with them, but a current investigation would be a red flag and a hard pass for me.

That's what I'm worried about. I only learned about this in the last few months

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
My answers and opinions bold
So. My partner volunteers for Cypress Creek. He sent me info they were hiring. I have also been invited to volunteer for them.

I applied for the paid position and they're having me come in on soon for a PAT and interview.

This is new to me but they just informed me last time I was 15 second slow on the physical. They told me before I passed. Maybe if I'd had experience they would waive it.

Probably not. The PAT is a set standard.
I do not need to redo my my personality test or written exam (NREMT style questions and exams plus regular basic life knowledge).

My concerns are this.

1) Is the job steady enough with Rona and Creek’s current battle?
As a field provider, it will be steady. The field staff will transition with or without any conceivable provider. This is pretty standard.
2) 24 hour shifts. Are these better if I work less days for the same or more pay?
Depends. Creek functionally works a 42 hour work week (24/72), which is like 8.5 days a month, but the overtime opportunities are fewer than you’re used to at AMR. They are usually pretty busy to stand-up 24s and do pose some significant safety issues due to fatigue. I’ve personally fallen asleep while driving before at Creek, and I’m far from alone. There is no call-our, time-out or breaks.

3) Being a Medic Student in the fall. This will give me more experience and better resources (I think), but can I balance a schedule on 24s and have enough time to study? Might be a question for me, but any advice is appreciated.
Almost certainly not. The 24/72 hour rotation is functionally ironclad and if you’re going to school, it would be better to take the job with more flexibility in the schedule. Gut says that’s AMR, especially if you can work a float position or 12s around class days or nights or something.

4) The whole Cypress thing going on right now. Of course.

I don't want to get hired on and in the next week lose my job due to restructuring. AMR advertised they'd keep all the Cypress folks if they got the contract but would everyone else keep the field crews?
See above.

I'm at a fork of great risk and reward. Someone please chime in with your wisdom.

Maybe I'm chasing after lights and sirens and I shouldn't be. But just the clinical experience and.. I dunno

I want 911. I want to have those skills to help people.
Definitely, but hold that fire until you’re a medic if you’re already on glide slope. As an EMT at Creek, you will functionally be a driver with a very few assistance roles, maybe some low acuity “lead” calls. You definitely see more sick patients as an EMT with AMR Houston and are in a position to learn more from them.

I don't want to look bad by leaving and crawl back because cypress imploded.

No one would care, it’s understood. But ser

It's just .. ugh.

I'd had my heart set on Cypress as a student. But now? It looks risky and not what anyone wants to deal with.

Their volunteers are just extra eyes really. They don't do pt care and most don't even drive
Me personally? I’d stay with AMR, use that seniority and friendships and such to best facilitate your educational time. There isn’t a lot of reason for you to jump into Creek. If you’re jonesing for 911, volunteer down at Community VFD in Alief (SW Houston) and actually be a functional provider on the crew (plus I think they get paid per diem or something). https://www.communityvfd.com/

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
That's what I'm worried about. I only learned about this in the last few months

Me personally, I'd stick with AMR. Theres probably a little more flexibility in the schedule (trade shifts) for medic school. I know some people in my medic class that made it work. I was part time with AMR for medic school so it never really mattered to me.

RocketMedic

Volunteers are functional crew members and it’s like 35 miles from your place.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan

Volunteers are functional crew members and it’s like 35 miles from your place.

Increased pay would be nice though. I already work a lot and working less for more take home pay would be nice.

RocketMedic

Increased pay would be nice though. I already work a lot and working less for more take home pay would be nice.

At your Cert level, you would actually take an effective pay cut going to a 24-hour schedule at Creek, even if your hourly rate was slightly higher. AMR Houston pays EMTs fairly well for the area, Creek is less than that IIRC. And there’s the issue of overtime availability.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
At your Cert level, you would actually take an effective pay cut going to a 24-hour schedule at Creek, even if your hourly rate was slightly higher. AMR Houston pays EMTs fairly well for the area, Creek is less than that IIRC. And there’s the issue of overtime availability.

Wait explain the math? Higher rate and same hours?

As far as I understand it Creek starts basics at like 14 something. So that's 2$.

RocketMedic

Wait explain the math? Higher rate and same hours?

As far as I understand it Creek starts basics at like 14 something. So that's 2$.
How much overtime do you generally work? If you’re routinely working 48-52 hours a week, you’ll lose money going to a 42-hour schedule, particularly if you’re getting shift pickup bonuses or working shifts less than 24 hours in duration. Creek’s 24/72 will not change and has very little flexibility or sympathy, and there are only a few 12-hour options that may be hotly contested.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
How much overtime do you generally work? If you’re routinely working 48-52 hours a week, you’ll lose money going to a 42-hour schedule, particularly if you’re getting shift pickup bonuses or working shifts less than 24 hours in duration. Creek’s 24/72 will not change and has very little flexibility or sympathy, and there are only a few 12-hour options that may be hotly contested.

They don't give you unlimited OT?

I pick up usually 2-3 shifts a week. 70-90 hours a week.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Found an mvc. I think she was on her phone and went into oncoming traffic (no other vehicles involved) and swerved into a ditch.

We were first on scene. She was fine. But I slipped in mud. Twice. 😅

RocketMedic

They don't give you unlimited OT?

I pick up usually 2-3 shifts a week. 70-90 hours a week.
They generally do not. Maybe one additional shift a pay period, and there is usually a decent amount of competition for overtime. Creek also maintains an at-fault culture for any workplace call-out or absence, so if you are in class for something that can’t be rescheduled they will both show little mercy and punish you for calling out.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
So why would anyone want to work for them 😵 maybe I'm not young and desperate anymore.

RocketMedic

Without getting fire certs it's going to be a commute for 911.
Community is 35 miles away. Literally nothing by Texas standards. You could even take public transport.

RocketMedic

I literally provided a link to them. You’ve got to do some of your own research if you’re actually interested. And you were complaining about the commute so I wanted to point out there are multiple alternatives.
As an EMT-B, you aren’t going to get non-Houston Fire 911 experience in Houston as a primary provider UNLESS you volunteer with Westlake or Community.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout

"CVFD routinely responds to incidents you may hear about on the news such as motor vehicle collisions (MVCs), gunshot wounds, rescues, stabbings, assaults, cardiac arrests, strokes, and many more emergency situations."

"Enjoy the excitement and personal satisfaction of being a part of an emergency services team. Get to do what others only see on TV!"

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I literally provided a link to them. You’ve got to do some of your own research if you’re actually interested. And you were complaining about the commute so I wanted to point out there are multiple alternatives.
As an EMT-B, you aren’t going to get non-Houston Fire 911 experience in Houston as a primary provider UNLESS you volunteer with Westlake or Community.

Is it common for a volunteer organization to pay people? I thought that was a hard and fast no?