the 100% directionless thread

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Locals gangs and drug dealers must not be happy, they're keeping us busy lately.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
The court of the wheelchair van is a lonely one. The guests are at the far end of the hall, strapped to the floor, and inaudible over the din of the motor. In one of the vans they even face backwards so as to reflect upon their own poor choices in life. It is a court of profound melancholy.

Reminiscent of a monologue from Apocalypse Now.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I am out of the fly car today. No partner drama though. It was one of my EMT recruits, so she's trained exactly the way I like my BLS partner to work.

Already run some ALS and had the narcs open. And FWIW, Toradol is the stuff for kidney stones.

The fun never ends.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I am out of the fly car today. No partner drama though. It was one of my EMT recruits, so she's trained exactly the way I like my BLS partner to work.

Already run some ALS and had the narcs open. And FWIW, Toradol is the stuff for kidney stones.

The fun never ends.
Do you volunteer to run on a unit over the weekends, or is it built into your work week?

Also, I often (half) joke that if my company ever went to single provider fly car paramedics in a more clinical oversight role vs. pure supervision, I’d come off of the helicopter.

NomadicMedic

We’re down a couple of medics, so I volunteered to push a truck today. It’s been fun, actually. We’ve run 7 calls and I’m having a blast just being a truck medic.

My schedule is changing, I’m going to work 4 days one week and three the next for a while. I’m curious to see how long that’s going to last.

We’re in the process of moving all of our medics off an ambulance and into fly cars, so I’m going to move my office from the central admin building to the education facility, where we also run a truck. I will cover the ALS in a squad in that district during the day when I’m there.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
In all seriousness I have concluded (and been told) that I’m not at an EMS agency, I’m at a patient transport service that happens to offer EMS. There is a huge and significant difference between those w
We’re down a couple of medics, so I volunteered to push a truck today. It’s been fun, actually. We’ve run 7 calls and I’m having a blast just being a truck medic.

My schedule is changing, I’m going to work 4 days one week and three the next for a while. I’m curious to see how long that’s going to last.

We’re in the process of moving all of our medics off an ambulance and into fly cars, so I’m going to move my office from the central admin building to the education facility, where we also run a truck. I will cover the ALS in a squad in that district during the day when I’m there.

That is very, very interesting. How many fly car medics are y’all running now?

RocketMedic

I reckon I skipped straight to the cutting edge of the pyramid there. Anyone can run a complex 911 call or CCT transfer, but only the few can take a pre-scheduled stretcher call or wheelchair discharge. I am the elite. The one you call for your needs. I’m like a tow truck for people. It really puts it in perspective that I am expected to take poly-pharm CCT + “vent” transfers and run complex 911 calls alone, but then drop it all and deal with comprehensive “client transport services”. Guess which one there is formal training on...

On a serious note, I’m flying out to CA next week for my grandfather, who is getting out of rehab after a broken leg. Any advice for elder-care planning? He’s not really able to live alone safely anymore.

Last edited:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Also, I often (half) joke that if my company ever went to single provider fly car paramedics in a more clinical oversight role vs. pure supervision, I’d come off of the helicopter.
I think Manatee County has gone to this. In addition to the Community Paramedics, they have two Tahoes with single medics in them assisting with calls.

NomadicMedic

In all seriousness I have concluded (and been told) that I’m not at an EMS agency, I’m at a patient transport service that happens to offer EMS. There is a huge and significant difference between those w

That is very, very interesting. How many fly car medics are y’all running now?

The plan is three. Honestly, We will probably still have a medic on a truck occasionally. We do have some medics in our employ that just aren’t quite ready to staff a fly car by themselves.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
On a serious note, I’m flying out to CA next week for my grandfather, who is getting out of rehab after a broken leg. Any advice for elder-care planning? He’s not really able to live alone safely anymore.
I feel like all the California peeps should have an EMLifeExpo. I'd be down to join.

RocketMedic

Wheelchair: the paragon of EMS.

Attachments

• 2A180878-41B8-42E3-8614-CB297DA9BAB9.jpeg
    2A180878-41B8-42E3-8614-CB297DA9BAB9.jpeg
    774.4 KB · Views: 271

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I hear wheelchair vans come in handy...

Ok, but seriously, I hope your grandad is ok.

RocketMedic

I hear wheelchair vans come in handy...

Ok, but seriously, I hope your grandad is ok.

He’s too frail to safely live on his own. He needs a wheelchair van medic.

RocketMedic

"wheelie Medic"
That sounds way too cool.

In all seriousness I really don’t like this feeling. My ego is in tatters and I feel like I am slowly losing the qualities of a good emergency paramedic. I know the answer is a different and better job, but life is in the way and I’m trying to make it a good move, not a flailing one. So I fight hard to keep the skills, the competencies and the passion alive, like a little campfire in the Arctic winter. Hopefully this next few weeks opens up some new routes WRT where I’m headed, or at least clarifies existing options.

@NomadicMedic do you have wheelchair critical care medic strike teams? Because that’s some next-level stuff. Top of the food chain.

RocketMedic

Took a cardiac failure transfer (CCT) from here to Big Good Hospital 1.5 hours away, alone, on a dobutamine drip. Now, I know what dobutamine is and the basics of how to use it, but that’s because I’m an EMS weeb who studies extra and does things like classes and self study and stuff. It is not an exaggeration to say that I have had more formal education on the wheelchair van (1 hour) than on critical care from this job or the one before it. (Everything worked out fine, but I am constantly impressed by the assumption that paramedics are ready and knowledgeable with things they’re not trained on.)

I now understand exactly why CA and some other states limit what calls paramedics can tech so aggressively...we are systemically unprepared.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Seriously man, good luck. But you have to stop identifying yourself solely based off of your credentials and schooling.

That ain’t living in my book. And I’d reckon (Ha! I dabble in Texan) others would agree.
This is part of what keeps me significantly happier where I work. I'm in the same boat as everyone else when it comes to disliking/trusting management, and nothing pisses me off more than taking an out of town trip for some VA transfer, but I'm much happier overall than many.

RocketMedic

Seriously man, good luck. But you have to stop identifying yourself solely based off of your credentials and schooling.

That ain’t living in my book. And I’d reckon (Ha! I dabble in Texan) others would agree.

I really don’t identify based off of what I do. I’m just frustrated that I put on golden handcuffs, am at a job that doesn’t appreciate me or my talents, and that has a skewed work/life balance. I’m not really that bothered by having to drive the van occasionally, I’m bothered by the fact that I’m letting golden handcuffs get in the way of what I really want to be doing and letting a job I’m “meh” about grow like cancer into my time.

I’m home, about to go to the gym and work out, and I’m prepping for our CA trip this week and all that comes with it. Next move is going to be to somewhere we both like, where we can actually do things and where life isn’t about work, and to jobs we really enjoy.