the 100% directionless thread

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

CALEMT

First day of spring my ***... 34 degrees and snowing...

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
First day of spring... Free ice cream from DQ and free pizza for being a first responder.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Respond to an OD in the middle of the intersection. Start to do things.

Bystanders:

CALEMT

I can not wait to move to Arizona in the fall. California vehicle registration for a 2008 Toyota Tacoma (11 year old vehicle mind you) with 168,000 miles was $300...

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Question: new job routinely holds people (on a 24/48) to cover other shifts, to include wheelchair van. Also downs trucks sporadically throughout the night from central station, sends crew in wheelchair van to take people home or wherever. I’ve done more WCV “stuff” today (3) than ever in my ten-year career (0) and I feel pretty much like a ten-year critical care/911 paramedic demoted to wheelchair car would. Pay is good but that’s primarily a function of the 56-hour average schedule 24/48s yield. Am I being an immature burro for feeling insulted that I’m being woken up during a steady 24 hour shift (maybe 3 hours of sleep) for a WCV at 0430, or that I’m being used as a chair car jockey in the first place?

Hospital based service, rural 911, central station does almost all IFT work and newbs are stranded here.

RocketMedic

This is my day

Like...not depressed, enjoy EMS, but dislike IFT when it’s wheelchair van.

Attachments

• 1C8B0DF4-4CB5-499C-98D5-0DD46BEF08C8.jpeg
    1C8B0DF4-4CB5-499C-98D5-0DD46BEF08C8.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I definitely wouldn't want to be woken up that early in the morning for a damn wheel chair van trip home.

RocketMedic

I definitely wouldn't want to be woken up that early in the morning for a damn wheel chair van trip home.

It got worse. I spent literally all day today on the wheelchair van, as a passenger, because the ambulance broke down and we have no ready spares due to other commitments. I spent twelve hours as a WCV passenger/driver accompanying my partner around on the chair car and I am not happy about it. I feel like a Hornet pilot demoted to yellow cab. NOT a happy camper. I feel disrespected.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
It got worse. I spent literally all day today on the wheelchair van, as a passenger, because the ambulance broke down and we have no ready spares due to other commitments. I spent twelve hours as a WCV passenger/driver accompanying my partner around on the chair car and I am not happy about it. I feel like a Hornet pilot demoted to yellow cab. NOT a happy camper. I feel disrespected.
While I may not be content with my current arrangements, at least this wouldn't ever happen. But I do get my fair share of BLS transfers, so I guess it's all the same.

RocketMedic

While I may not be content with my current arrangements, at least this wouldn't ever happen. But I do get my fair share of BLS transfers, so I guess it's all the same.

Is it petty to dwell on this and feel disrespected and negative about it?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Only if you were promised cct/also/bls only. If you knew wc was part of it then you can be upset but don't dwell on it. And for your general health I wouldn't dwell on it... Though it may cause me to find a new employer.

RocketMedic

Only if you were promised cct/also/bls only. If you knew wc was part of it then you can be upset but don't dwell on it. And for your general health I wouldn't dwell on it... Though it may cause me to find a new employer.

There was never any mention of wheelchair. But it’s the same hospital owning it, and EMS staffs it.

I enjoy the rural 911 and ALS/CCT. Those are motivators. I don’t mind BLS transports. But I do feel angry and disrespected by being put on dialysis wheelchair action.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd be pissed about waking up at 430 for it, but realistically BLS IFT is no different than being on a wheel chair van. Just fancier wheels. If it's just one day? Eh, **** it, easy money for you. If it happened a lot I'd be a lot less happy.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I certainly wouldn't tolerate working at a place where that type of thing was the norm, but very often the way we respond to a situation has as much or even more effect on us that the situation itself. Disrespect was almost certainly not intended by anyone. You are choosing to feel that way. And dwelling on it is only hurting yourself. Let it go but if it keeps happening and you dislike it more than you value the job overall, find another one.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Heck, at my flight job they announced a couple months ago that when the weather was not flyable we would be doing ground transfers we had a decent amount of people who felt disrespected haha

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Heck, at my flight job they announced a couple months ago that when the weather was not flyable we would be doing ground transfers we had a decent amount of people who felt disrespected haha
Oh no, leg room, cushier seats, and a relatively quiet work space? What a travesty. 😂