Texas to Oregon EMTB, filling the gaps

Tunnel Cat

Forum Probie
I'm a newly Nationally Registered EMTB in Texas looking to head to the west coast. There are some jobs in Oregon that don't only require my NREMT to start with the understanding that I'd get my Oregon cert soon after. However the scope of practice there is a little wider than Texas. Is there any sort of training course that can bring me in line with the Oregon SoP or would I have to start all over there?

I haven't found anything googling but possibly I don't know where to look? Thanks.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Texas doesn't have a scope, so Oregon's isn't wider. There are EMTs I work with that can start IVs, needle thoracostomies, and surgical crics. It's all dependent on where you work in Texas.

Not trying to change your mind though; I love Oregon. To answer your question, I don't of any specific classes for what you're looking for.

OP
OP
T

Tunnel Cat

Forum Probie
Thanks STX. My bad, I thought the skills taught to me in class were part of some universal standard in Texas. Regardless, there is a defined scope in Oregon (it's on Oregon's public health website but the forum won't allow me to post a link). I never learned a few of the skills: "Esophogeal/tracheal multi-lumen airway," "Ventilate w/non-invasive positive-pressure device," and "tracheal tube suctioning on endotracheal intubated patient." Then again, the documents tell me what an Oregon EMT may do, not must do.

I guess a better question is:

Can I practice/be licensed in Oregon without those skills?

and

How I would go about learning them and what proof would I need to show that I could perform them.

Code 3

Forum Captain
I'm a newly Nationally Registered EMTB in Texas looking to head to the west coast. There are some jobs in Oregon that don't only require my NREMT to start with the understanding that I'd get my Oregon cert soon after. However the scope of practice there is a little wider than Texas. Is there any sort of training course that can bring me in line with the Oregon SoP or would I have to start all over there?

I haven't found anything googling but possibly I don't know where to look? Thanks.

Hey Tunnel Cat,

I was in your same position roughly four years ago when I was looking to move to Oregon. At the time, I was a licensed EMT in California and they told me I needed to fill out a reciprocity packet and provide proof of training for the following advanced skills: supraglottic airway device, intramuscular and subcutaneous medication administration, and glucometer (I think it was only those three skills ...) I called a local paramedic program and asked if I could sit in on a class during the days they were teaching those skills and get my skill sheet signed off.

I would contact the State EMS office to see exactly what you need using the information below. Also, here's a link to their reciprocity page that has more info and the packet you'll need to complete: https://public.health.oregon.gov/Pr...ems/EMSTrainingCertification/Pages/recip.aspx

E-mail: ems.trauma@state.or.us
Phone: 971-673-0520

I hope this helps!