Tasers & Removal

mikie

Forum Lurker
Our county LEofficers just started carrying tasers. We have yet to be trained on their removal. Has anyone had formal training (I'm not asking how, just wondering if your dept has protocol for it) fir removing the taser 'clip'? From what I hear, it's like a 'fishhook' -removed with pliers or something. We had to call city FD for removal (city has carried them for a while)- as it is yet to be (but may in the near future) in our department's protocol. However, there is regional protocol, but "only if properly trained."

I'm might be wrong, but I think the PD can remove the tasers 'clips' (i don't know the technical term) without us as well...

Also, hypothetically, if one were to be shot with one on the anterior thoracic cavity (I hope I remembered my anatomy correctly!), could their be complications with the heart & it's 'electricity?'

Lastly- has anyone here been shot (I hope voluntarily or accidentally!) with one? And is it true you become incontinent (ie. piss your self :blush: )?

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
Our county LEofficers just started carrying tasers. We have yet to be trained on their removal. Has anyone had formal training (I'm not asking how, just wondering if your dept has protocol for it) fir removing the taser 'clip'? From what I hear, it's like a 'fishhook' -removed with pliers or something. We had to call city FD for removal (city has carried them for a while)- as it is yet to be (but may in the near future) in our department's protocol. However, there is regional protocol, but "only if properly trained."

I'm might be wrong, but I think the PD can remove the tasers 'clips' (i don't know the technical term) without us as well...

Also, hypothetically, if one were to be shot with one on the anterior thoracic cavity (I hope I remembered my anatomy correctly!), could their be complications with the heart & it's 'electricity?'

Lastly- has anyone here been shot (I hope voluntarily or accidentally!) with one? And is it true you become incontinent (ie. piss your self :blush: )?

I got shot by one, Voluntarily, Idk about the Pissing yourself stuff, That Didnt happen to me, But I sure as hell screamed like a girl. Heh, Im a big guy, and those things definitely let you know they are there. As far as taking them out, The Cops did it right then and there after I sat up. They were in my back, So I couldn't see exactly what they were doing but it was quick and just a little :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:.

Well apparently a word that rhymes with mick and starts with PR is censored, but alright. But yeah, its just a little pinch.

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
My county's protocols for taser removal:

The TASER dart usually penetrates the skin only a few millimeters. EMTs can safely remove a dart simply by pulling it out. The only exception is involvement of the eye, face, neck, breast or groin. In this case, leave the dart in place and transport the patient to the hospital for dart removal.

Consider scene safety and measures to protect yourself and other rescuers from a potentially violent patient in situations when a TASER gun has been used. You do not need to transport a person to the hospital based solely on TASER dart exposure. If a patient has no need for further medical evaluation, you can leave him or her in police custody.

This skill may be performed by EMTs and ALS providers. (Depending on local protocol.)

ALS Indicators
Compromise in ABCs

BLS Indicators
- Taser dart imbedded in skin

BLS Care
- Assure the scene is safe
- Wear PPE including gloves and eye protection—consider mask and gown if blood is present
- Remove TASER cartridge from gun or cut wires before removing darts
- Darts are a sharp hazard—treat as contaminated needle
- Dispose of darts in sharps container or TASER cartridge
- Police must be in custody of patient
- Restrain if needed

Removal Procedure
- DO NOT REMOVE darts if:
- Patient is not under control
- Eye, face, neck, breast or groin are involved—patient must be transported to hospital for dart removal in this case
- Grasp firmly with one hand and pull to remove, one dart at a time
- Reassess patient
- Consider medical or behavioral problems as the original cause of violent behavior
- Drug/alcohol intoxication
- Behavioral problems
- Trauma, etc.
- Bandage wounds as appropriate
- Document situation and patient contact thoroughly

Patient Disposition
- Release to law enforcement if indicated
- Transport with law enforcement support if:
- Eye, face, neck, breast or groin are involved
- ALS indicated
- Law enforcement officer requires medical evaluation. Police protocol may require transport. This may be by PD or ambulance.
- Follow Patient Care Guidelines regarding restraint of aggressive or violent patients

Burn Hazard

When a TASER is used in the presence of pepper spray propellant, there is a burn hazard. Electrical arcing from imperfect (but effective) dart contact can ignite the propellant. The resulting combustion may not be visible, but can lead to complaints of heat and burning. If a patient complains of heat or burning, evaluate for possible minor burns.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mikie

mikie

Forum Lurker
^ Wow, Was that published online? Because I hope I didn't make you type all of that out!

Thanks!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
In PA, EMS must treat the Taser barb as an impaled object. LEO's can remove it if trained, unless it is in a "delicate" area.

Epi-do

I see dead people
We are allowed to remove the barbs, unless they are in the face or genital area. I have only been on a handful of person tased runs, and I have never had to remove the barbs. Either the cops do it before we get there, or they did a dry tase instead, and never used the barbs.

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
I wish our cops could have the TASERs... Over here its mostly pepper spray or real fast flying lead...

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
After PD here got Mr. Swift's Electric Rifle they quit usings the sap so much, shame. Barring placement in any of the previously mentioned sensetive locations, we just yank them out and send them along with PD.

Egg