Taking the next step in Washington state (eastern)

bassdave555

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, this is my first post. I have read a few similar to this but I have some more specific info so I am hoping for some more information. A little about me: I am an EMT-B student at TCC (awesome program by the way) and will be taking the National test in December. I am 21 years old and just getting started in this amazing field. I want to work on the fire side, but I know that many dues must be paid before that is gonna happen and I plan on working as an EMT-B and possibly EMT-P before that happens. Ideally in January 2011 I will look for work as an EMT and look to volunteer firefight on my days off. I am going to be living in the Spokane area (however I am willing to drive an hour or so for work).

1. I have searched extensively online for job postings for work and come up empty, does anyone have a site or tips on places for me to search both for employment and volunteer opportunities in my area? Is there a list of volunteer departments somewhere that I can print out to contact?

2. The great thing about this field is the opportunities. I would love to volunteer at sporting events and other exciting places such as dirt bike races, etc. Where can I find those odd opportunities at?

3. Any feedback on working for AMR? If you lived in Spokane where would you apply?

4. Any cool opportunities or tips, or just cool things you wish someone would have told you when you were just starting out? I am looking to get the most out of this and do some really cool and fun things.

Thank you all in advance, I apologize if this was repetitive of previous postings.

MediMike

Forum Lieutenant
My best advice to you would be to slow your roll. Don't look at working private as "paying your dues". Yeah the pay isn't as great, but you will be working in EMS. If your desire isn't to work in EMS than you shouldn't have taken that class. Cliff would be disappointed.

Now in regards to where to work, AMR Spokane runs quite a few calls and I would advise working for them. You end up with quite a bit of well rounded experience. I'm not sure if AMR Grant County is hiring for EMTs at the moment, but since they've taken over Grant 5 they run some pretty good calls out there, unfortunately thats over an hour away. Look into the various Spokane County fire districts out there, I'm sure one of them has a volly program you can get into.

Last edited by a moderator: