surviving a 12hr./24hr.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
I work 12 hour shifts mainly so dont get a lot of down time.

Xbox/Ps3
Bring a guitar in and learn guitar
Study
Surf Interwebz
Read

Hockey

Quackers
Yes, I agree that I could not fill 24 hours every time. I do like to prioritize the important stuff though. It irks me to see coworkers laid out in a recliner spending hours on facebook when I know there are supply problems.

I bet you're tons of fun to work with :lol:

MediMike

Forum Lieutenant
Cracks me up cause thats EXACTLY what I'm doing right now :rolleyes:

I'm a huge proponent of the idea that once I get my job done, I'm here to relax and wait for them to come to me. If theres work to be done my full 48 hours then I'll do it...otherwise this leather masterpiece is calling my name!

In regards to "surviving" a 12/24 hour shift...C'mon. You gotta get used to it, we work a 48/96 regularly, OT is available all the time and I'm working on a 72 at the moment. Outside of suckin' it up I don't got much advice for ya, I think we're all a lil' zombified at those 04:07 calls anyways, just don't let it affect your safety or your patient's care!

emtashleyb

Forum Crew Member
Sleep as suggested
make an ambo fort
Clean
aggravate the hell out of my dispatcher (its an on going dislike-dislike relationship between us he runs me hard when we have calls even though I don't mind I still make sure to sing showtunes at the top of my lungs or rearrange his desk)
hang out at the er make friends with the nurses
Watch movies
Play hide and go seek
Detail your unit
detail all of the units
Read
Online classes
Board games
Eat
Drive around and learn the area your providing service to

I work private ambo so our overnight 12s can be pretty lax and we get away with doing alot of stuff 911 can't also I would advise you learn limits you can push before doing things like the ambo fort or aggravating your dispatcher

Probi

Forum Probie
follow the teachings of countless nerds and consume un godly amounts of mountain dew. haha jk, the 12s arent that bad, Ive seen the Pros get sleep whenever they can, and study when you can since working is the best enviroment to get into that learning mood.:ph34r:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
As for station chores. Our primary truck is checked each day, station is cleaned up (trash taken out, swept, maybe mopped, dusted), depending on weather truck is washed every 2 days, detailed inventory of the truck is done once a week with all expiration dates checked.
We usually knock all the chores out by 0800 at the latest. Leaving us 10 or 22 hours to do whatever. Once school starts I know that I'll spend a lot of the time not actively running calls either sleeping or studying.

18G

Paramedic
Mainly in between calls, I read/study, watch TV, or clean the units. I always feel that the 12/24hr shifts go by somewhat quick. I hate downtime though. I would much rather be running calls any day. Unfortunately, my station is rural so call volume isn't real high.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Mainly in between calls, I read/study, watch TV, or clean the units. I always feel that the 12/24hr shifts go by somewhat quick. I hate downtime though. I would much rather be running calls any day. Unfortunately, my station is rural so call volume isn't real high.

This sounds like my sentiments every day but this past 16 hours or so... It's been a busy night for us.

i5adam8

Forum Crew Member
Lots of time spent on the internet. Trying to sleep but usually an attempt to sleep brings in an unwanted call.