Support services technician

emt_basic_newbie

Forum Ride Along
I did my EMT-B ride outs with [company name here] and immediately fell in love with the company. Everything was great about it. They aren’t hiring any EMT-B’s at the moment but they are looking for a support service technician. Can anyone tell me more about this [hours, pay, ride along, etc] position for their company? I figure if I can get this position I would be in pretty good shape for the next available EMT-B spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I wuld check and ask how long you hve to work in that position before applying to go to the field. When I first got my emt I was thinking about taking a job with PMT ambulance in a support position but they said I could only apply inernally after 1 year so I declined, and 2 weeks later got hired for a field position.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I did my EMT-B ride outs with [company name here] and immediately fell in love with the company. Everything was great about it. They aren’t hiring any EMT-B’s at the moment but they are looking for a support service technician. Can anyone tell me more about this [hours, pay, ride along, etc] position for their company? I figure if I can get this position I would be in pretty good shape for the next available EMT-B spot.

I would guess you need to check with the company.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I believe that my old company had something similar ("vehicle service technician" (VST)). Essentially, their job was to restock the units and do minor cleaning. They weren't EMT-Basics, so I don't think they knew what they were doing half the time (e.g. I found an adult BVM with ped mask one time. Another time I found an opened OB kit.). All of this was done with the idea that VSTs stocking units could decrease check out time in the morning (fully stocked cabinets were sealed in a manner similar to crash carts in hospitals) so it seemed that there was more scrutiny on the crews getting out than on ensuring that the units were properly stocked.

Personally, I see two downsides to programs like this. First, it is really easy for crews to notice a handful of mistakes and write off a VST style program. Once the crews lose faith that the service techs can do their job properly, any time saved is lost. Second, unlike the hospital, ambulances do not have backup. There isn't a monitor on the next floor or a Pyxis machine to draw extra medications out of if the pharmacy or stock room people make a mistake. That little detail makes a big difference between knowing that everything should be there because of a tag and knowing everything is in there because the crew checked.

As far as the company I worked for, the hours were at night (6pm-midnight ish). None of them were EMT-Bs because they would be working as an EMT-B if they were one (So. California ambulance companies are generally short of people). I'm not sure of the pay, but I'm sure that there were unpaid ridealong oppertunities if one of the VSTs really wanted to.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
I wuld check and ask how long you hve to work in that position before applying to go to the field. When I first got my emt I was thinking about taking a job with PMT ambulance in a support position but they said I could only apply inernally after 1 year so I declined, and 2 weeks later got hired for a field position.

AZ...do you ever check your PM's?? I had a couple questions about PMT that I was hoping you could answer... Is that too much to ask?

Thanks!