Suggestions for Paramedic Programs in Central Texas

ilemtbwantn2bTXEMT-P

Forum Probie
I just moved to Central Texas- Austin-San Antonio Area from Chicago for work as EMT and eventually hopefully a Firefighter with Austin. I am currently an EMT-B but I would like to get the Advanced or Paramedic Level Training. I just did a transistion course which covered mainly EKG's in the 3 Lead not 12. Does anyone have any suggestions on Programs in this area to get my Paramedic and also if anyone knows anything about these online Firefighter and EMS Certification Websites please let me know. Thanks to all that respond

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
UT Health Science Center in San Antonio, San Antonio College, or Acadian NEMSA in Austin.

8jimi8

CFRN
Austin Community College is an excellent program.

BuddingEMT

Forum Probie
Growing up in San Antonio and currently living in Austin, I have researched extensively the options here, and honestly the two best choices are either UT Health Science Center in San Antonio (program takes a year) or Austin Community College (takes two and a half years because they make you get your intermediate cert. first). These schools have high pass ratings on the NREMT and are of course accredited. I wouldn't go to Acadian or any other programs put on by agencies unless you want to work for that specific agency.

Another thing to consider is the city departments themselves, since you expressed interest in being a firefighter. In San Antonio, the EMS and fire departments are not split, meaning you usually have to work as a firefighter for a few years before you can be "promoted" to paramedic (although there are some other EMS agencies like AMR and Acadian that help out the SAFD on 911 calls). In Austin on the other hand, the fire department is separate from EMS, so you don't have to be a firefighter before you can be a paramedic since they aren't related.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

BuddingEMT

Forum Probie
I just moved to Central Texas- Austin-San Antonio Area from Chicago for work as EMT and eventually hopefully a Firefighter with Austin. I am currently an EMT-B but I would like to get the Advanced or Paramedic Level Training. I just did a transistion course which covered mainly EKG's in the 3 Lead not 12. Does anyone have any suggestions on Programs in this area to get my Paramedic and also if anyone knows anything about these online Firefighter and EMS Certification Websites please let me know. Thanks to all that respond

I almost forgot, DON'T DO THE ONLINE CERTIFICATION WEBSITES. Not only will you have more trouble getting a job, but you won't feel nearly as comfortable with your skills and you won't meet professors and paramedics who can help you advance your career in the future. Never underestimate the power of having connections.