Sugar Sobriety Tests

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
all of us have been there, blood sugar levels vs. consent

at what # do they take a ride?, get D-50?

at what # are they let to refuse?

what of the above does you med control allow you?

what mode(s) of assessment are you using?

~S~

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
around here, I don't know if there is a specific number where the patient wins a ride.

Many medics locally will push D50 on anyone with a BgL below 80 if they are the LEAST bit altered (Sometimes they check BgL with a fingerstick, sometimes with venous blood... depends on the medic and the patient).

I've had patients who were not altered, but were "weak" and had a BgL of 50-60ish... usually we just get them to eat a PB&J sandwich or similar, the medic calls the doc, and the patient refuses. Any lower than about 50 mg/dl, I've always seen them to be somewhat altered.

I haven't seen it, but if a patient is CAOx4 and understands the risks associated with the refusal, even if his BgL is 50mg/dl or lower, I don't know if we can NOT let them refuse.

ffmedic

Forum Probie
Here if your glucose level is 70< w/ altered LOC we'll push D50. If your able to understand and can help we'll just feed you and mostly let you stay home with help and a rising BS level. The big change in the last years has been with oral meds you get a ride no matter what. ( unless you want to fight us) Oral meds they worry stay too long in the system and if a Pt OD'ed they can crash later even if they ate. Of course many of these people OD without even knowing it.