Suction

VentMedic

Forum Chief
why is there a 15 second rule? if there's no airway, one would think youd want to get one est. asap

Not all patients that require suctioning need ETI. The 15 second rule can apply to NT or oral suctioning as well as ETT suctioning.

Unfortunately suctioning is not a skill that is understood or mastered by all and since a little device known as CPAP has come to EMS, we are seeing many more patients with aspiration because the airway was not cleared before strapping the mask tightly to the patient's face.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Wouldn't you have to adjust vacuum pressure if you're using a different size cath? 200mmHg isn't the same for a 14french vs a 16? am I right or just not at all?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Wouldn't you have to adjust vacuum pressure if you're using a different size cath? 200mmHg isn't the same for a 14french vs a 16? am I right or just not at all?

If you are using a soft catheter, I would hope you wouldn't be using 200 mmHg. Lung, nasal and pharyngeal tissue are very delicate and easily damaged.

You use the correct mmHg for the size, age and medical conditions of the patient.

There must be some common sense judgement used also in some procedures.