Subarachnoid bleed and hyperventilation

TatuICU

Forum Lieutenant
The field isn't the same as an ICU so those who think they need all the toys to assess a patient are going to be disappointed as Paramedics.

Once again, I ask how long you've been in the field. And again I remain a practicing paramedic in a 911 system.

But in any case, shouldn't a "CC"EMT-P at least know what they're talking about when it comes those "toys" since they did plunk down the money to learn what they were after all?

Which road are you trying to go down here? And ABGs are well within both NREMT-P and RN educational standards. There's idiots everywhere, I assure you of that. And I wouldn't recommend talking about how "stupid" other people are, coming from this line of work. I used to do that a lot in my younger days and always wound up getting frightfully embarrassed, so you know, just a word of advice there.

TatuICU

Forum Lieutenant
I likes new toys:p labs would be great as a diagnostic tool. As are blood pressures, rhythms, 12 leads and the 50 other things we have to worry about while upside down under a car. If we spent another 10 minutes obtaining blood and doing labs, we may be doing CPR instead of just using cpap. Our job is to get them to the hospital as fast as safely possible. Anything that delays that process can cause a negative outcome in our patients

Upside down under a car? I can think of maybe 10-20 instances in my entire career where extrication was going to take long enough for me to actually get under the car and begin real treatment for severely critical patients.

As usal said, 90% of EMS calls are for GOMERS who would not be at risk for deterioration if they simply got a ride with a friend or drove themselves.

hyperlyeman1

Forum Probie
I am not.in any way addressing cct. Most medics don't run cct. Most run 911. And coming from a medic who has worked cct (2 years actually) never once have I been on a unit with the capability to do any sort of lab. and how many hands are in the back of your cct units? When you have a ripping call how can you spare those hands our the time? I never said it want useful info. Is not necessary though. And going back a few posts to your less than 5% of calls are time sensitive/critical... That holds true for cct too doesn't it? Most cct calls can be handled by an rt... So are you going to draw labs on those patients who are on a vent going back to hospice care?

hyperlyeman1

Forum Probie
Upside down under a car? I can think of maybe 10-20 instances in my entire career where extrication was going to take long enough for me to actually get under the car and begin real treatment for severely critical patients.

As usal said, 90% of EMS calls are for GOMERS who would not be at risk for deterioration if they simply got a ride with a friend or drove themselves.

Agreed 100%. So why do labs on those goners? Waste of time.

TatuICU

Forum Lieutenant
Agreed 100%. So why do labs on those goners? Waste of time.

Agreed, and once again, no one is suggesting that we should. Most medics can't even apply oxygen at appropriate times, and we certainly waste too much money in EMS to be nonsensically doing these types of things.

TatuICU

Forum Lieutenant
I am not.in any way addressing cct. Most medics don't run cct. Most run 911. And coming from a medic who has worked cct (2 years actually) never once have I been on a unit with the capability to do any sort of lab. and how many hands are in the back of your cct units? When you have a ripping call how can you spare those hands our the time? I never said it want useful info. Is not necessary though. And going back a few posts to your less than 5% of calls are time sensitive/critical... That holds true for cct too doesn't it? Most cct calls can be handled by an rt... So are you going to draw labs on those patients who are on a vent going back to hospice care?

huh? The entire point that Jake "CC"EMT-P was trying to make was in regard to CCTs. That's why we're talking about it.

And yes, most "CCT" calls aren't really CCT. There's just something (3 gtts, whatever) that allows the EMS service to bill it as though it is one. Which I really don't blame them. We don't get reimbursed as much as we should on the whole so I have no problem with billing the :censored::censored::censored::censored: out the hospital anytime you can. Though I can't imagine any call going to hospice care being deemed "CCT", ever. A vent is not critical care. A vent is a vent. Any run of the mill medic can handle a vent. Hell we had basics take a short course with med direct approval and they handle most uncomplicated vented transfers headed to NHs, etc.

Headed to play golf. Will check back later if the thread is still open.

Last edited by a moderator:

hyperlyeman1

Forum Probie
Agreed, and once again, no one is suggesting that we should. Most medics can't even apply oxygen at appropriate times, and we certainly waste too much money in EMS to be nonsensically doing these types of things.

Again, I agree entirely. I don't know what the argument is about lol. EMS, at least in my area is really pushing education. Most new medics I know are getting as degrees.