Studying: B vs I please help

AthensTech09

Forum Probie
I'm taking the NREMT-I85 Monday. I've been using some EMT-B review manuals like the AAOS by Stephen J. Rahm...heard good recommendations and its the same company that made our course text.

Taking the practice tests, I need any helpful clarification regarding which points in the B material would change for the I-level. This can apply to CPR, pharmacology, airway and breathing, circulation, operations, etc... I just don't want to go relearning something the wrong way and at the last minute. Thanks!!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I don't think I get your question.

Are you asking in which areas I is different from B? Not to be harsh, but you went through the class, didn't you?

OP
OP
AthensTech09

AthensTech09

Forum Probie
Well I had the feeling while studying this EMT-B review manual that some answers would be different if the question were posed to an EMT-I rather than to the EMT-B. If I recall, the only major difference for I's was IV therapy.

I did go through the class, but there wasn't a clearly delineated start/stop for EMT-B and EMT-I built into the course. At one point we DID get notified that if we wanted to stop the course and test out at the EMT-B level we could, but by that time we had done about everything except IV therapy. The last quarter of class consisted of IV material and reviewing for the most part, honestly.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Well I had the feeling while studying this EMT-B review manual that some answers would be different if the question were posed to an EMT-I rather than to the EMT-B. If I recall, the only major difference for I's was IV therapy.

I did go through the class, but there wasn't a clearly delineated start/stop for EMT-B and EMT-I built into the course. At one point we DID get notified that if we wanted to stop the course and test out at the EMT-B level we could, but by that time we had done about everything except IV therapy. The last quarter of class consisted of IV material and reviewing for the most part, honestly.

?? One has to be a EMT before testing for an EMT/I. There is far more than just IV therapy on the EMT/I curriculum and yes, you should had recognized that as the texts are totally separate than for Basic EMT's.

I will agree that over 70% of the questions are over basic criteria and one should review their Basic book to ensure the general knowledge.

R/r 911

OP
OP
AthensTech09

AthensTech09

Forum Probie
Georgia may have differences with state requirements, I'm not the expert on this issue. I think my asking has brought to the surface an issue that was dealt with in class at a fairly insignificant level (what is B vs I). I appreciate the input. If I recall, no one opted to test out at the B-level and stop attending class. So probably after the second quarter we were taking exams and such but GA doesn't require you to test NREMT for the B before becoming an I.

I just started my second review guide for the day: Barron't EMT Technical Exam, 2nd edition, 2008.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I'm taking the NREMT-I85 Monday.

At this point, my recommendation is to try and relax tomorrow, get up Monday, have a good breakfast and go test. It's waaaay late in the game to be worried about something like this. Best of luck!

OP
OP
AthensTech09

AthensTech09

Forum Probie
Thanks. I'm planning to do just that. Going to a social function late Sunday afternoon and plan to rest up. I just phoned a classmate who is testing Tuesday and he's spending the day doing ER clinical. Another classmate, who is retired!, has purchased access to the various study-guide websites. I think that would have been good for me but I work 2 jobs and take another college course AND try to maintain a volunteer lifestyle. I think this experience has changed me, certainly for the better. I just want to pass that written test! B)

simpatico

Forum Probie
I live in Augusta and honestly the only curriculum that is of any significance (test wise) added to the EMT-I in Georgia is, as you said, IV therapy and IO therapy. Honestly outside of knowledge of that, you just gotta study when IV and IO therapy would be used. e.g. a basic would treat shock via treating threatening injuries + oxygen, intermediate would do the same plus IV. 's bout all that is necessary to study in addition.

Minor pharmacology in addition to IV basics (macro drips, micros, tube sizes, forumla for dosage drips, etc). Obviously know what things like D50 and D5 are, sodium chloride, saline, lactated ringers, learn your ph levels and become familiar with alkolidosis, acidosis, stuff like that, too.

's all i can honestly remember...