Study on Philadelphia Fire Department urges bold action to meet goals

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
How many nations had their EMS system designed by their National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration?

It made sense in 1968 (use FD as a framework to get EMT'S OUT THERE NOW), and not so much anymore. But please please do not let the big medical companies get a stranglehold on them. First, the rurals get cut off. Then the inner cities. Then they start shaving care back, and subsidizing EMT mills as they have nursing programs here.

Foxbat

Forum Captain
Veneficus said:
NO first world nation outside the US uses joint fire/ems
Canadians do not approve of this statement. And Japanese. And Singaporeans. And French. And Spanish. And Germans. And Irish.

On top of it, most of these nations save a lot of money on the fire service by not having a very big one. Rather than have dozens of stations (that costs a lot) they have a handful that respond timely and with enough mass of men and equipment to actually effect interior attacks.

Do you have any data on response times in European vs American cities?

Instead of roving brown outs, how about system status management without resting quarters for fire apparatus? If it works for the squads, it must work for the engine and ladder Cos.

Because SSM works so well in EMS.

If these "consultants" were anymore biased they'd be wearing FD logos and endorsements on their cloths like spots figures.

What evidence of their bias do you have, other than the fact that you don't like their findings?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Canadians do not approve of this statement. And Japanese. And Singaporeans. And French. And Spanish. And Germans. And Irish.

Do you have any data on response times in European vs American cities?

Because SSM works so well in EMS.

What evidence of their bias do you have, other than the fact that you don't like their findings?

I admit when I made that comment I was generalizing as I could recall no cross trained fire/EMS operations of the scale of America.

In that respect I overreached

But if you read those pages, they are either limited to certain areas or have in the case of Both the French and others, a corresponding physician response.

In the organization systemet pointed out, you will notice a considerable public health and transportation group under the fire organization run by physicians.

I bring this up becuase while I have witnessed the occasional cross trained provider in Europe, many are not. I strongly suspect due to the training requirements to become a paramedic.

If I may a quote from the very website you provided?

"Emergency medical services in France are provided by a mix of organisations under public health control , with the lead taken by a central control function called SAMU, which stands for 'Service d'Aide Médicale Urgente' or urgent medical aid service. This central hub is supported by resources including first response vehicles or ambulances provided by the fire service and physician led ambulance provision from SMUR (Service Mobile d'Urgence et Reanimation - literally translated as mobile emergency and resuscitation service) which are 'mobile intensive care units' (MICU) that have one or more physicians on board.[1"

I am not a supporter of system status management. I lived it and I know it doesn't work. But I also know that on several joint fire/ems departments, some rather famous, the medics are relegated to SSM while suppression persons are not.

In the very article sighted here, recommend medics do not sleep on duty?

Give me a break.

As for Canada, well, we won't quibble eh ;)

Last edited by a moderator: