Study Methods

TFtruck1

Forum Ride Along
Hello.I don't know if any of you remember me. I took a year long EMS class which turned out to be disatergous with only 2 kids out of 15 passing. I also blame myself becasue I didn't take it sersly at all. Our class only probably went through 15 chapters and thats the only ones I read. I joined an Ambulance corps as a thirdman back in March and have been volunteering 24 hours and week and love eveyminute of it. I just got into anoter EMS class which is out of a college and is a serious class unlike my other one. I am every excited to start in about 2 weeks. Im going to be fully commited and going to put in a ton of studying time. I just wanted to know how all of you took notes or any study methods that worked out best for you. Thanks for reading!

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
Quickly read the book material BEFORE it is being discussed in lecture.

Then attend lecture and take notes.

Reread the book material covered in lecture, referencing them to the notes. (you can outline the chapter if you feel that's something you would like, but usually there is a workbook corresponding to your EMS book which outlines everything for you)

Do all assignments, problems, critical thinking sections etc.

Skills and Protocols will just have to be memorized, with whatever method you prefer. (note cards, etc.)

Review all outlines, notes, and the workbook before big tests, but I don't recommend rereading chapters.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
In front of each chapter are objectives. Each of these objectives is what you will be tested over. Read each of these objectives and be able to answer them or locate them within the chapter, to be able to outline them.

EMS is currently taught by objective learning, (which will change in the future) and if one fully understands those objectives the will have no problems.

R/r 911

EMS49393

Forum Captain
People primary use four different ways to learn: visual, aural, read/write, and kinesthetic. Knowing how you learn will help you decide what learning activities will be of the most benefit. For example, if you find you are an aural learner, taping lectures, taping yourself reading and answering objectives and review questions, etc and then playing them back anytime you'd usually be listening to music can be helpful. Read/write learners use a lot of flashcards and repetitive writing. There is an online test that a lot of educators use to help students determine their learning style. www.vark-learn.com.

Good luck, and you'll only get out of it what you put in to it.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Hello.I don't know if any of you remember me. I took a year long EMS class which turned out to be disatergous with only 2 kids out of 15 passing. I also blame myself becasue I didn't take it sersly at all. Our class only probably went through 15 chapters and thats the only ones I read. I joined an Ambulance corps as a thirdman back in March and have been volunteering 24 hours and week and love eveyminute of it. I just got into anoter EMS class which is out of a college and is a serious class unlike my other one. I am every excited to start in about 2 weeks. Im going to be fully commited and going to put in a ton of studying time. I just wanted to know how all of you took notes or any study methods that worked out best for you. Thanks for reading!

In front of each chapter are objectives. Each of these objectives is what you will be tested over. Read each of these objectives and be able to answer them or locate them within the chapter, to be able to outline them.

EMS is currently taught by objective learning, (which will change in the future) and if one fully understands those objectives the will have no problems.

R/r 911

In your reading, try to understand why they are doing what they are doing. The "why" is so much more important. There is a difference between knowing and understanding. If you understand why, then you will automatically know what and how.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
It depends solely on your learning style.

Do you learn best by reading? Watching? Doing? Listening?

Find which way you learn best and work off of that.

I can read a book all day and not learn crap. I can go to class, have my teacher say the exact same thing my book says, and it will be stuck in my head for the rest of my life. I learn best by listening.

8jimi8

CFRN
read the chapter before the class. Then when you get to class to loose notes on key points / interesting discussion questions and pay attention. Practice your skills after class is over and memorize your nremt skill check off sheets.

You'll thank me later for that last one~

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
In addition to what the others suggested, get the workbook that goes with your textbook and do the exercises and practice questions.

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
I did this in college and it worked excellent in basic school... I would read the chapter before the class and type out all the key terms of the chapter along with their definitions and then bring my laptop to class and just fill in important info regarding each one as the lecture went on along with other pertinent info and would study off of that