Strike force-19

OP
OP
N

Newparamedic

Forum Crew Member
If the pt wants to go I don’t have a problem with taking them. I try to educate people on how they are burdening the 911 system if they call for bls issues or chronic issues. I do it respectfully. I am a reasonable person and I always like to see the best outcome for my patients. I believe education is key* otherwise you have people abuse the system.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Working in the medical field is not about glory and pride.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Can we get back on topic please?

OP
OP
N

Newparamedic

Forum Crew Member
Working in the medical field is not about glory and pride.
I understand that. I had a bad choice of words. I know I am not my pt any good sending a bls or chronic issue to the Er by ambulance when they can go to urgent care or see their pcp.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
That's the stuff that roadblocks Quality Initiatives. That stuff makes me crazy. I never jam up anyone who doesn't follow a protocol. I recently had a medic that gave a guy with a food bolus stuck in his esophagus a couple of milligrams of Glucagon. Is that in the protocol? No Fin way. Did he call a doc first? Also nope. Did I smash his ballz with the QI hammer? Nope. We had a chat about the appropriateness of that treatment and if he had presented to the doc he may have gotten orders. Now he has a better understanding of what happens if he colors outside the lines and how to mitigate the backsplash. It's all about how you play the game friends.
It was just an example... I 100% agree with your point of view and am the same way.

The guy who lost his license needed to, they were just stacking the deck against him.

My point was, if your protocols say something is ALS, you better make it ALS unless you have a damn fine argument against it.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I understand that. I had a bad choice of words. I know I am not my pt any good sending a bls or chronic issue to the Er by ambulance when they can go to urgent care or see their pcp.
That's your problem. You work in California. Under current law, that's not your decision to make. If they want to go, you take them. That's your job. Is is always the best? No. But until ET3 or some other legislation changes, it's not your decision.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Last chance to get back on topic.