"Statistically speaking, it doesn't apply to me"...

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
I take into account how I feel and the odds of something bad happening. I never wear safety glasses when I chainsaw, The risk is really low given the number of hours I will spend using it, and I sweat like a mutha and it impairs my vision to some extent when I wear them. It's a personal choice. When I ride motorcycles on occasion I don't wear a helmet, it greatly diminishes he amount of enjoyment I get out of it. I don't own a motorcycle or ride one on a daily basis but I make the choice to enjoy riding the few times a year I do ride. I don't wear a life vest when I kayak or canoe sometimes, it really diminishes my enjoyment of getting out on the river and fishing and having fun, I am a strong swimmer, I know the river, and I take risks into account.

Could I be safer in some things I do, yes I could. Does anything I do create a risk for someone else, no.

Weigh the benefits against the risks...make a decision. It's not a "Bad decision" if you do something more unsafe (that does not cause risk to anyone else) but you enjoy it more and the benefits outweigh the risks.

TLDR : You can make decisions that are more "unsafe" but are good decisions.