Starting to get very discouraged

Preachamedic

Forum Ride Along
Dont get it. I have worked hard for my certs, and dont know what to do about not being able to get a job anywhere in my state seems like. Is there anything i can do to make myself more marketable. Most places wont hire and tech with not experience even though i have some. I want to be a medic, but most of the school require that you have at least 6 months of clinical or actually on the street experience. What do i do.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'm guessing you're in California? Move.

Edit: Never mind, saw you were from Kansas. My advice remains the same. That, or at least broaden the area you are willing to commute to to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you located exactly?

OP
OP
P

Preachamedic

Forum Ride Along
I am in wichita, ks which is a medic only county. Same for the county that resides next to it which is butler it kinda blows

Maybe somebody from/familiar with Kansas can help you out.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Look for a job at a private IFT.

OP
OP
P

Preachamedic

Forum Ride Along
Well if you are meaning a privately owned ambulance service or such that is hard because of the limited number of them. What other types of of IFT's are you talking about?

mct601

RN/NRP
How long have you been job searching? I didn't get my first job until the BP oil spill three months after I registered, and didn't get my first 911 job till three months after that. It can take time. If you're in a technicality due to the market being flooded or protocols, don't know what to tell you.

And I'd recommend a solid year in 911 before becoming a medic. Others on here will disagree, but if you do it you'll thank me later.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Well if you are meaning a privately owned ambulance service or such that is hard because of the limited number of them. What other types of of IFT's are you talking about?
I cannot speak for him, but I think he just meant apply for a interfacility transport/non-911 ambulance company.

It sounds like you are interested in working where you live, but in some states like mine, you have to consider commuting far for even an IFT job. In California, it took me 13 months to get an EMT job at an IFT company. I'm still trying to get on with the 911 company and it's been 2 years this month.

Same advise I give to everyone now. Don't jump to no, apply everywhere that you qualify for (don't apply if you don't qualify), don't apply to only ones you hear are hiring, if they accept an application or resume, turn one in, apply for as far as you are willing to commute, make sure you have a resume, peer review it, write an essay about yourself, read it to yourself while looking at a mirror, interview yourself, also keep up-to-date with your skills and knowledge, continue learning so when it comes time to be interview and if there are any tests, you'll be ready. Don't have any experience at all? Make sure you learn where all the hospitals are at, main roads, study the protocols and policies. How dedicated are you? <bad joke>Shake babies, kiss hands.</bad joke> (other way around) Call ambulance companies, e-mail them, walk in, be a familiar face to them - a good one.

Good luck dude.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Is volunteering an option?