Starting job tomorrow!

Paladin78

Forum Crew Member
Well, it's official. I will be starting my first EMT job tomorrow and it will be a 24 hour ride time. I'm nervous, to say the least. I have no field experience at all. Any advice on what to do/expect?

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
Well, it's official. I will be starting my first EMT job tomorrow and it will be a 24 hour ride time. I'm nervous, to say the least. I have no field experience at all. Any advice on what to do/expect?

It will be just like another day at the office. :p

Listen & Follow directions.
High flow diesel and you can't go wrong.
Go step by step with your assessment.

Good Luck & Congrats

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
Didnt you do any clinicals or "ride alongs" during EMT school?

EMT-IT753

Forum Lieutenant
For the first few days, sit down and shut up:) There is a lot to learn with a new job especially on an ambulance crew. If you have down time, learn the company protocols if there are any. Listen to your crew members and accept any criticism they may have of you.

I have started 2 part-time jobs with ambulance services in the last 3 months. Both have different protocols and different patient care report programs. It is alot to pick up in a short amount of time, but I enjoy the challenge.

Good luck and have fun with your new job:p

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
High flow diesel and you can't go wrong.
First of all, congratulations!
I'll venture to argue with that...There are more cases where you want to take it slow and safe then allow your only treatment to be high risk transport to the hospital.

Otherwise, be prepared to be bombarded with protocols, policies and procedures-- a lot of "Don't do this specific thing, we just fired someone for doing it..." Is it private EMS? Third Service? Fire-Based?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Didnt you do any clinicals or "ride alongs" during EMT school?

I had no ride alongs as a part of my classes. I did however ride along with our local unit on my own.

HelpmeHelpyou

Forum Crew Member
I haven't even started school, not till Aug. I Finish in late Dec. just 3 days before Christmas. Iam even excited for you. Congratulations. I cant wait to get there. I feel like I should have done this along time ago, instead of automotive for 8 years at a Stealership with Honda. I bet you wont even sleep tonight. lol.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
First of all congrats! But like everyone else said, for the first few days just sit back, listen, follow directions and accept any and all criticism. Good luck!