Starting EMT BASIC soon!

Bseda

Forum Ride Along
Hey y'all I'm Brittany and I just recently graduated from high school and I am going to start EMT basic classes in January! I've struggled a little with figuring out what I wanted to become and eventually realized that my heart always knew what my head didn't and that is to become a EMT paramedic! I am more excited about starting classes and becoming an EMT and then eventually a paramedic than I have been about anything in my life, every day that's goes by I get more butterflies in my stomach and I was just wondering if y'all have any advice for me about EMT basic classes??

Wes

Forum Lieutenant
Take a deep breath. Settle. And realize that, regardless of where you end up, whether or not you remain in medicine, life is a constant educational process.

EMT is but the first step in learning. My advice, start learning medical terminology and maybe see if your local EMS service will allow you to do a ride-along or two as an observer before you start classes.

milehimedic

Forum Probie
It's quite likely that there will be unmotivated people in your classes. Don't give them the time of day or let them distract you from your goals. Focus on the material, kick butt on your clinicals, ask lots of questions, research anything you encounter that interests you, and do some volunteer work while you're taking classes. Every hospital that I've ever encountered had some sort of volunteer program. It's a great way to learn what healthcare is really all about and to see if you have a passion for patient care. Good luck!

ChanelCinq

Forum Lieutenant
Take a deep breath. Settle. And realize that, regardless of where you end up, whether or not you remain in medicine, life is a constant educational process.

EMT is but the first step in learning. My advice, start learning medical terminology and maybe see if your local EMS service will allow you to do a ride-along or two as an observer before you start classes.

I concur that a studying medical terminology will be a huge help in your EMT-B class.

Dan216

Forum Crew Member
Hey Brittany, I took my EMT class pretty much right out of high school last year and let me say getting it done early like that is great. Having your EMT will open many doors for ya!

Like the others are saying, take a breath and if you can start preparing now - DO IT! Medical terminology as well as Anatomy and Physiology are good things to start doing now.

I know how you feel about having the butterflies though, my station is putting me through the AEMT class here in a month or so and I can't wait.

From what I've seen, nothing beats being an EMT. Best of luck to ya!

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
EMS Instructor here.

Be prepared for a lot of worked compared to high school courses.

If you don't know how you learn best, go to the college's learning/assessment center and have a learning assessment done. it will tell you how you learn so you can maximize your learning and studying.

Ask for help early and often, and always ask questions.

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
Like others say, read up on medical terminology and anatomy&physiology if you can.

Once class starts pre-read the book. Ask questions early and often, the most important question being "why?" Volunteer for demonstrations. When doing practicals and scenarios don't rush but think them through and learn them the book way, you are tested on the book way. Way more important to do procedures correctly than with speed.

Do uncomfortable things, find out what you like, have fun with it.

Btalon

Forum Probie
Like others say, read up on medical terminology and anatomy&physiology if you can.

Once class starts pre-read the book. Ask questions early and often, the most important question being "why?" Volunteer for demonstrations. When doing practicals and scenarios don't rush but think them through and learn them the book way, you are tested on the book way. Way more important to do procedures correctly than with speed.

Do uncomfortable things, find out what you like, have fun with it.

I agree on reading ahead, but I wouldn't pre-read the whole book, it can get confusing until you can put it all together.

Don't be afraid to ask tons of questions and like someone else pointed out you will have people that don't care in class. Frequently you will have repeat students that couldn't pass and are there again and often it shows why they are taking it again. Try to ignore them and do your own thing, focus in on the ones that are doing great and work with them. They will push you to do better and won't just be hoping they get out early.

For me the workbook was a great tool also. I would read the chapter, do the workbook and then correct it, if I got something wrong I'd write the page number and go back and review what I got wrong. The workbook will reinforce things in the text that you think aren't important and would have skimmed over while reading.

Practicals are a big thing, it's easy to sit in the back of the room and watch everyone else do them, be one of the first to stand up and volunteer, often you will get more out of the instructor because they aren't getting tired of them if you are first and then you can sit back and watch the other ones and pick up on things you can do differently or better. In my AEMT class I had the most sticks in class, when there was a chance I didn't hesitate to say hell yes and do them. I ended up with a great rate and have been successful because I jumped right in and built my skills.

Same thing when I had to do clinical time, I made sure I stayed busy, I didn't wait for someone to tell me to come along, I was like a lost puppy and followed them when they went to get a patient, if I heard of something different being done I jumped right in and watched or helped. I also didn't stand around texting or playing with my phone. If I needed to take a call or call someone I would let them know it was coming and why, then I would go to the nurses break room for the call, then come back 100%. If it wasn't busy I would clean, look at equipment, re-stock the IV trays, anything to keep busy. I got complimented by more than one nurse who recognized that I was the only one to re-stock supplies and when they needed something done they would go out of their way to find me to let me do it.

Forming an alliance or study group will help. We often got together outside of class and discussed lectures, ran ideas back and forth or went over practical stations. It wasn't always hands on, frequently we would do a sort of round table discussion about the skills stations and it helps to memorize the sheets so when you test, you remember the steps and what to do.

If you aren't affiliated with an agency, try to get a local one to let you hang around. It is great to be able to discuss difficult topics at length and with someone who has a different way of explaining things. Plus if you get to see things done that you are learning it helps.

You get out of it what you put into it. It's endless and only the beginning when you take your first class. No one person knows everything, but it's good to be well educated on what you are supposed to know.

andrewl

Forum Ride Along
Fast Track

Congrats to you on your decision! I hope it goes well. I just completed all of my classwork & testing etc. and had taken a fast track course. Not sure if this is something that is offered to you or you're considering but if so, don't do it. While I successfully completed the program and passed the NREMT, I do feel as though I would have a much stronger knowledge base if i had taken the normal course. Out of the 11 that started in my class, only 2 of us passed and out of 22 students between 2 classes, 5 made it to the end. I wouldn't do it that way again if you paid me. I think that the responsibility of being an EMT warrants more time in study than a summer semester. Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you:)

neoclassicaljazz

Forum Crew Member
Read up on the chapters before you go over it in class. That way you'll better understand and retain the information when your instructor goes over it and you'll pick up bits and pieces that maybe you didn't when you read it.
Get as much hands on experience as you can and go on runs whenever possible and as often as possible. You'll learn the most in the ambulance and things you learn in class will start to make better sense.

Nuro

Forum Ride Along
EMS Instructor here.

Be prepared for a lot of worked compared to high school courses.

If you don't know how you learn best, go to the college's learning/assessment center and have a learning assessment done. it will tell you how you learn so you can maximize your learning and studying.

Ask for help early and often, and always ask questions.

I concur. I want to a fast-track program... we basically had 5 weeks of lectures from 7 am to 4pm and then when we got home had to study for a test the next day. The people that did really well in the class had already bought the book and read it in advance.

I would also recommend that when you get close to taking the NREMT you invest $35 bucks in the Pearson Achieve program (google it, can't post links yet).

They have several great practice tests on specific topics you should know, as well as 4,5 NREMT practice tests.

If I'm not mistake, Pearson are also the ones administering the NREMT exam.