Starting EMT-B in the fall, have questions

Hastings

Noobie
A&P was a prerequisite that we needed to have done before we even applied for medic school.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Were you able to take A&P I and II at night. Guess I need to ask my college, but since most of the curriculum is at night, doesn't make since to have A&P during the day.

A&P is a pre-requisite to paramedic school. It is also an general education class. As a general education class it is actually MORE likely to be available at night. A lot of these questions really need to be asked of your college. Or at least someone who went to the medic program at your college.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes I am going to ask them next week.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Found a A&P w/lab class on Monday's only from 4-8pm, I am going to register for it tomorrow. My EMT class is on Tuesday's and Thursday's from 6:00 to 8:50pm.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Found a A&P w/lab class on Monday's only from 4-8pm, I am going to register for it tomorrow. My EMT class is on Tuesday's and Thursday's from 6:00 to 8:50pm.
Sometimes A&P during medic school is great but some time the A&P will get beyond the medic curriculum and sometimes its the other way around. so sometimes you will understand everything that your learning in medic class on a more complex level and other times you will have to wait a week or a month to figure it all out. The school that i went to did A&P on Tuesdays and Thursdays and did class Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I will have to wait until Fall 2009 to register for the paramedic classes. They enroll once a year in the fall. Maybe the time away from school and part-time on the job, will either help me re-inforce that this is something I really want to do or not. I have already completed all the general education classes required expect A&P I&II. Found out I can do my clinicals and field work anytime for the medic program. Again thanks for everyones suggestions/opinions.

Mikey, did you classes only last a couple of months? 6 hours a week doesn't seem like much time, seems like thats only around 96 hours curriculum time.

Can anyone chime in who does this part time? If so what days/hours do you work?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Yay! I am officially registered for A&P I w/ lab and EMT Basic. First day of class is August 14th. I am looking forward to it.B)

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Yay! I am officially registered for A&P I w/ lab and EMT Basic. First day of class is August 14th. I am looking forward to it.B)

Well I made a 79% on the final in A&P I and came out of the class with a 80% average so yay. I still have my EMT-Basic final tomorrow and skills check of Thursday, then the registry. I will be taking A&P II next semester.

I am kind of using this as my journal.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for your answers, I am just trying to get somewhat prepared. The photos that bothered me the most were the neglect and abuse photos, the SIDS photos, and the child electrical injury pictures.

The photos bother you because you are looking at them as a spectator. On a scene, you have a job to do. Having a reason to be there, tasks to accomplish, a pt's needs both physical and emotional to consider, and often having a very tight time line on what needs to be done over-rides the OMG voice in your brain.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Made a 80% on my EMT-Basic final. I could have done better I think. I missed some questions on infants and pediatrics. I think one of the questions was, which is not a sign of infant shock. I put pulse over 160bpm, but that was wrong since the pulse ranges from 100-160, I knew it was over 100 but I thought maybe closer to 140, but 160 seemed to much.

Also there was one about where to palpate a pulse, but I don't remember it saying if it was a pt who was responsive or not. On responsive patients over one year were are taught to check it at the radial, un-responsive check at carotid.

Any how tomorrow is skills check off day. The end of the road is in sight, or is it just the beginning?

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Well I passed practicals and have paid the NREMT fee. It says wait 1-2 days before I can schedule a test date/time. Hoping to do it before Christmas.