Starting EMT-B class in a month

Zalan

Forum Crew Member
Hi,

I`m going to be starting EMT-B class in a month, as well as Fundmentals of Algebra. Together there 12.5 credits for the semister. After these are done its time to work on pre-requists for the Paramedic program. Is there anything I can start doing now to get ready for EMT-B class? & is there any other class that would be good to take. Example: I`m thinking of taking Spanish as there is a decent Latino population.

Whats the best way to keep my EMT-B cert after I get it? EMT-B jobs are not common in my location. I`m in the state of Indiana, presently work as a Security Officer. The reason I ask is probable looking at 3 to 3 1/2 yrs to get my Paramedic Degree & cert do to pre-requists.

Thanks,
Zalan

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
I took a first responder class and CPR before taking EMT. Also knowing a little about how the body works will help a lot too. Knowing where your major artery's and veins go and where they can be found etc... The heart, brain lungs... Basically depending on your state an emt will only do CPR, USING the AED, Giving o2, and helping them with a few drugs. Oh and putting band aids on people. As my instructor told me emt's save lives, medics prolong them and hospital kill them..

I would also do a ride along with your local fire department. Doing a civilian ride along will help you see what goes on and break the ice since they don't expect you to know anything or do anything. I love emt class and cannot wait for medic to start. I will be writing a summary on emt-b school life in a day or two once everything cools down around here... GOOD LUCK and welcome!!!

tekken1096

Forum Probie
As my instructor told me emt's save lives, medics prolong them and hospital kill them..

I have to be honest sir, I immediately busted out laughing when i read this part! :)

However, I hope we can change that last phase someday...

Last edited by a moderator: