Starting Clinicals

EMS_Junkie

Forum Probie
Hey everyone, Im far enough along in Paramedic school to be starting clinicals. Ill start here in a couple weeks. I was wondering about any tips or suggestions in starting clinicals. Any feedback is appreciated!!

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Don't be shy....

Hey everyone, Im far enough along in Paramedic school to be starting clinicals. Ill start here in a couple weeks. I was wondering about any tips or suggestions in starting clinicals. Any feedback is appreciated!!

Besides the obvious like show up for your clinical or better yet, show up early. Have all of $hit in a pile, such as paperwork, etc.. As soon as you arrive, introduce yourself. Ask for the charge nurse or supervisor. See if you can be assigned to someone (preferably someone who doesn't mind precepting). Be willing to anything and everything, even if that means helping to changes beds, etc..

Have fun and learn lots!

ceej

Forum Crew Member
Be proactive but not obnoxious.

On ambo clinicals do as much as you can for your preceptor. Help check, wash and stock the truck. Don't make the mistake of plopping on the couch and sitting until a run comes in.

In the hospital I had good luck with nurses when I offered to do their busy work in my downtime. Cleaning and stocking rooms, revitaling patients, etc.

Nelg

Forum Crew Member
Be proactive but not obnoxious.

Don't make the mistake of plopping on the couch and sitting until a run comes in.

But what if the medics your doing ride times with insist you do? LOL:p

MonkeySquasher

Forum Lieutenant
^ What they said.

Do their busy work, help them with crap, ask lots of questions. Review your notes before your clinical, so you KNOW what you're doing. If you look eager and half-way competent, they'll let you do more.

Also, from Day 1, introduce yourself to everyone, and let them know you're a Paramedic student, what you're allowed to do, and that you want to learn and practice. Especially the pro-active doctors and nurses. When something needs to be done, or something cool is going on, they'll think of you and come find you.

And don't do anything dumb. Like kill someone.

Nelg

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, i know, wanted to just see what I could get going. For my EMT clinicals, I voulenteered to do what I could. Couple of medics didn't really want to chat or talk to the student, but the ones I did most of my rides with where very helpful. They explained what they were doing, got me to assist what I could and just helped them do what ever I could. We didn't do much in terms of runs, not many people being stupid that day I guess, so when we were done restocking and checking things, we ended up doing some Modern Warfare 2 between calls.

:ph34r:

ceej

Forum Crew Member
Always remember that medic students are expendable.

On a serious note, a lot of medics don't get to work with the same students multiple times. If that is the case with your program and there are a lot of students going through clinicals, it only takes one bad one to sour a medics perspective of the entire program.

If you find a medic or RN that is exceptionally well tuned to you and you work well together, try to schedule more with the same person. I did the vast majority of my internship with one crew and it was fantastic.

Nelg

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, for the majority of my first day, I was with the same crew. I wanted to ride again with the same crew the next ride day I had (24 hours in Arkansas sadly for EMT-B ) but they were at a different station. The first medic I was with explained as he went like the first group, and just giving my hints and tips for future stuff. Sadly, his shift ended by my second run, and the medic I was with on that was just as sour as she could be. Kept scofing that "the damn student hoped on my bus".

I offered to just sit aside if I bothered her that much. Just lucky that run was just a transfer.

My ER times, I was considered a "lost puppy" the way I followed the nurse or doctor I was asigned to around. Just wanted to do what I could, didn't want to just sit around and wanted to learn what I could during triage and assiments. Ended up cleaning beds more then anything (Myclinical rotations were slow, I swear), but was still enjoyable and learned a lot.

Last edited by a moderator: