Standby at MX race SAT

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
I'm running standby at a MX race Saturday at our local track, Just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I know that there's a lot of minor trauma like broken fingers, scrapes etc, Just want to see if there's anything else anyone thinks i should know about. I havent been on the rig for a race ever. And i haven't been a spectator in almost 3 years. so i don't even remember what happened the last time i was there. Thanks in advance.

Just in case anyone was wondering, we Have both rigs fully staffed, and numerous ems personnel around the track.

18G

Paramedic
Just do what you would normally do for what your presented with. It's an MX race so you could get minor to major.

TacoMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
You'll likely see minor trauma and not much else. Serious injuries do happen though. Meet with the Race Organizer before the race to get instructions on where to enter/exit the track. Make sure you meet the flaggers in case you will need to enter or exit the track with the track hot. Ask where the organizer would like you to establish an LZ if need be. Communication is big in these events. The injuries you will see and the patients you will treat will not be anything you wouldn't run into working 911s. Good luck :)

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Remember that if you see the bike take to the air coming toward you, then you need to DUCK!!....seriously though, if you got both ambulances there just make sure you have PPE, everything you need should be on the truck. Injuries to brush up on:
Compound and simple Fx
Object impalement
And a whole list of other traumatic injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the quick responses guys!, We are usually set up with the flagger's as far as i know. And Yes i will be studying the book tomorrow. I'm going to be the at the race so i want to be well informed. I'm still young with much to learn, So I really appreciate the help. And trust me i will have my PPE handy. At least a pair of gloves. I bought a belt holster recently so my basic stuff will be with me. I'm sure we'll keep busy because that last time i was there before i joined the squad. there was a guy who fell 3o feet out of the air right onto his feet, He was hurting!

KCS911

Forum Crew Member
I race and do EMS work at races. Learn how to properly take off helmets and other gear.I missed a crash and my friend hurt his neck because an EMT was trying to take his helmet off the wrong way. Loosen the chin strap first!!! Most helmets have cheek pads that pop out too.Very convient!!! Ask a rider to lay down and try to take his gear off of him like chest protector,neck brace,helemt,boots,,,etc. before you try it on an actual injured rider. There all alot of different straps or odd buckles on gear that may be hard to understand.Practice some before you go out. Boots are tricky!!

I've been hurt while riding and I gotta say......use simple words haha WARNING: Some people may get cranky when you cut through pants or jerseys.Motocross gear is very exspensive!!

Don't freak out over all crashes.Motocross riders are tough.Most will get up and continue to ride.Don't stress

KCS911

Forum Crew Member
O yeah. If your working on an injured person and the race is still going on......look before you go on a track!! Make sure a flagger or someone is on the track ahead of the injured person so that riders know that someone is down!! Riders can't always see ahead like on hills or big jumps. I've been hit and have had some close calls. Another warning....The bikes will be hot.If you have to remove a bike from on top of someone......beware of the hot engine or exhaust pipe.

OP
OP
C

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
KCS thanks for the info on the helmets, i didn't even realize they had removable pads now. Ive seen the people that run out on the track without looking, never a good scene. Thanks

QUOTE.. WARNING: Some people may get cranky when you cut through pants or jerseys.Motocross gear is very exspensive!!
yeah i saw an emt get hit for cutting through someones jersey

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
I'm running standby at a MX race Saturday at our local track, Just wondering if anyone has any advice for me.

Yes. Watch your timing in the whoops during practice to nail a good rhythm. Watch behind/beside you when apexing corners so you don't get stuffed. And if you case it off a jump get the hell off quick before some Bubba Mcgrath wannabe lands on your azz.

Oh, you meant about medical stuff?

Errr ... aaahhh ... I got nuttn. :sad:

(KCS911 covered it all.)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I race and do EMS work at races. Learn how to properly take off helmets and other gear.I missed a crash and my friend hurt his neck because an EMT was trying to take his helmet off the wrong way. Loosen the chin strap first!!! Most helmets have cheek pads that pop out too.Very convient!!! Ask a rider to lay down and try to take his gear off of him like chest protector,neck brace,helemt,boots,,,etc. before you try it on an actual injured rider. There all alot of different straps or odd buckles on gear that may be hard to understand.Practice some before you go out. Boots are tricky!!

I've been hurt while riding and I gotta say......use simple words haha WARNING: Some people may get cranky when you cut through pants or jerseys.Motocross gear is very exspensive!!

Don't freak out over all crashes.Motocross riders are tough.Most will get up and continue to ride.Don't stress

I'd rather MX gear get cut off than my leathers :p I've lost one set of leathers after an on track accident that the EMS on scene cut them off.... At least they broke about a half dozen pairs of shears doing it

OP
OP
C

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
I just also found out there is an Enduro race too. You know, Dirt and pavement, all in the same race. What a great Mix! Street tires in dirt should keep us busy. Another small bit of info is that we also have 20 mutual aid rigs to work standby with us, So four crews total. And probably 10 extras from my dept. So tonight i'm going through my book fro fractures, and burns and some of the other minor stuff. So basically it starts at 9 goes till probably 10 at night. YAY ill get a chance to use my skills!

KCS911

Forum Crew Member
haha with leather?My mx pants were $165. Those shears cut through pennies haha. I saw a guy try and cut throught mx boots because he couldn't figure out how to undo the buckles.Kinda dumb lol It was an epic fail though.

If this is your first race you have helped out with in awhile then chances are.....everyone knows it and you will basically be watching for awhile instead of doing hands on work right away.If I were you....I'd be ok with that.Observing first is usually for the best. If the racers are pro......less chance of crashes but when they do crash....more chance of injuries being severe. If amatuers....usually lots of crashes because they are ballsy and young haha but they usually only get minor injuries.

I hope you guys have quads or are in good shape and can carry equipment for long distances.lol Good luck!!!

OP
OP
C

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
I wish it was pro, Because your right, there would be less of a risk of crashes, But its amateur, practically anyone with gear a bike and forty dollars can race. Cutting through boots with shears? WOW , luckily ive been around motorcycles/dirtbikes etc. all my life so boots are a no biggie.

OP
OP
C

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
Quick update: the race is about five miles long, and will run on the track and down main roads. Plus our weather is around 50 degrees tomorrow. Talked to my chief tonight. He said that this is usually our busiest race of the year because of the length. Thanks to every one who replied. I appreciate the tips Alot!

KCS911

Forum Crew Member
O an Enduro race??? How'd it go?

OP
OP
C

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
actually pretty good, only two needed medical attention and transport, alot fell but got right back up. so for a 12 hour shift we had it quite easy.