Sprinter vs Ford or GM chassis

jmac2601

Forum Ride Along
I manage a service in southern Missouri with 6 ambulances in our fleet. Two of the six are E350 Econoline vans with the problamatic 6.0 liter turbodiesel. We use the two for non-critical long distant transfers. They combine for over 180,000 miles/year.
I've been researching a Medix, from Elkhart, Indiana, 2006 Mercedes Benz Sprinter with a 142x86x68 box to replace the vans.
So far I've heard only good about the 2006 Sprinter chassis. My research so far has been at the administrative/mechanical level.
What I'm looking for now are field staff comments, (Allthough managment/mechanical comments may contribute to paint a complete picture in this thread). Do you like the driving and handling, do they ride smooth etc.
Thank You,
Jim
South Central Missouri

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I've driven the Sprinter, Type 2 and Type 3. The Sprinter has been my favorite so far. Note: It was not an ambulance, rather one of our Red Cross ERVs, but it was a Sprinter none the less.

http://southwestflorida.redcross.org/images/Vehicle_2.jpg

Not only do I love the high ceilings (I'm 6'3 and I can stand up in the back) but it turns on a dime. Pulling u-turns in intersections rarely causes a problem. The large front window makes seeing things very easy, but I really don't like the front-side windows. Too small for me.

It's a very smooth ride and has great pick up.

We like it so much we are going to get another one soon.

OP
OP
J

jmac2601

Forum Ride Along
I appreciate the comments and I'll share the information with my staff. BTW; Nice pic of the 158" wheelbase.

Stay safe,
jim

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I've driven the Sprinter, Type 2 and Type 3. The Sprinter has been my favorite so far. Note: It was not an ambulance, rather one of our Red Cross ERVs, but it was a Sprinter none the less.

Wow! You guys are set! Our chapter is tiny. We don't even have an ERV. ;-D

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
We have:
Truck 1 - Chevy Hi-cube
Truck 2 - Sprinter
Truck 3 - Ford 350 Ambulance-like
Truck 4 - Chevy Suburban
Truck 5 - Chevy Astro Van
RC - 1 - Jeep Liberty

Trailer 1 - 16 foot trailer w/ shelter equipment inside.
Trailer 2 - 14 foot trailer w/ shelter equipment inside.
Trailer 3 - 20 foot mobile ops trailer. One can run a small office inside.
w/ 15k watt generator, a/c, heat, fax, data ports, television, radio gear
Trailer 4 - 16 foot communications trailer - seven or eight radios, all different bands

You can see images of all the vehicles here.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I've liked them as Type II's... are you talking about a type III on a Sprinter chassis? That would be... ummm... different.

Also, if you are doing long-haul transfers, you might even want to look into a medium-duty like the GMC chassis that replaced the Kodiac... they seem pretty sturdy, and if you are looking for long-term durability, it might be the way to go.

OP
OP
J

jmac2601

Forum Ride Along
http://www.medixambulance.com builts a 142x86x68 box for the Sprinter. The plant is in Elkhart, Indiana. I toured there last week. Drove the truck and liked it. They are a Sprinter approved builder.
Primarily this ambulance's model would be for interfacility long distant transfers: we did 804 of them last year and the closest facility is a 4 hour round trip.
The high-top Sprinter van would be my next choice. The one you drove, how did it handle in the wind? Was it a smooth ride? . . .
Be safe,
southern MO medic

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Smooth ride? Yes.

Handle in the wind? Well, ours is pretty empty in the back so the wind can blow you around a bit. I'm sure with one being an ambulance, the weight would keep you stable.

poppabird

Forum Ride Along
Sprinter vans are great!

We have a small wheelchair service. We have 2 sprinter vans 140"wheel base 2500 high top with side mounted rico lifts. We use bio-diesel only
In the snow it is very stable ,the slectamatic trany is great. Even though it is narrower than a ford/GMC the ride is much better.We are growing into a full ambulance service in the near future. Our choice is sprinters. In fact I have a dream of a sprinter Type 111 with a in step door lift!
I started in Caddy's and Pontiac and when vans started showing up every,
everyone complained,when the mod's came on the scene . Visions of hitting poles parked cars and the myth of decaping some poor pedistrain. Never happned. I remember the friet diesel rig I worked on it was a GMC type-11
with very poor pick-up cars and sometimes byciles would pass us!
its been a long time and many miles to many calls to count. I still get up every morning and run calls. And the best chasis by far is a Sprinter

Poppabird