Socialized Healthcare and EMS

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
[

I hope I'm not the only person interested in this topic... If a Democrat takes office (and the possibility seems likely), how will socialized healthcare effect EMS?

Less/more calls? Higher/lower wages? More/less funding? And many other factors I'm probably missing... what do you think?

I'm also new here, nice to meet you guys.

From a Canadian perspective, I find the system we have here very efficient, sustainable, and ethical. In terms of effects on EMS, I don't think there's any change in call volume (though I have nothing to compare it against, it seems like we get about the same as others from various forums).
In terms of wages, our primary care medics (entry level, post-college program) start around $20/hour, and our advanced care starts around $30/hour.
The hospitals aren't as crowded as one would think, and the system seems to work a lot better without having to worry about transferring patients for financial reasons. It also makes employment for hospital staff easier, since its one standard across the board. For EMS, it makes things a lot easier in not having to worry about billing information etc.
In the hospitals, they have a "rapid assessment zone", so people that come in with minor complaints can be seen in a setting more like a walk-in clinic, and not clog up the ER (not sure if theres anything like that in the states, forgive my ignorance).
In terms of employment, it's probably a bit more competitive for a job here, since the main limiting factor is regions' budgets. From what I can gather, employment seems to be rather cyclical, based on budget allowances for EMS. It's on its way up again though (in my area) with my region recently hiring 20 full-time medics.

I will not vote for someone who supports socialized healthcare. The insurance companies need some serious reform as does medicaid/medicare but socialized healthcare is definitely not the answer. The quality of care and the rate of innovation would be greatly decreased.
I have not noticed any difference in quality of care with our system here (though again, I have nothing to compare it against). One hospital in my area tried to do a public-private partnership, and it was rather rocky to say the least (here's one of many articles about it http://www.safp.ca/National/Ontario/6351.html).
Anyways, just throwing another perspective out there. ^_^