So, some advice.

David Park

Forum Probie
I guess I need some advice, since I'm not sure how many other people do their EMT-B classes through an online hybrid type thing. Anyways, I registered for an EMT-B course. Thing about it that is that it isn't really "classroom" setting and is more by computer. From what I've been told, 75% will be done online and the rest I presume will be inside a classroom setting. Since I'm sure this will be more than not mostly done online, any advice for me to help pass? Is it the same as usual? The read the book and study and take notes, but just online?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
You seem to be really confused about the program that you signed up for. If it's an online, or even a hybrid online class, then it's a pretty good bet that a good portion of it will be online.... So it'll be up to you to read your book and take in the knowledge. The classroom portion will likely just be skills and maybe a couple major tests. Have fun. Online classes aren't for everyone.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
the better question is what program did you sign up for?

OP
OP
David Park

David Park

Forum Probie
You seem to be really confused about the program that you signed up for. If it's an online, or even a hybrid online class, then it's a pretty good bet that a good portion of it will be online.... So it'll be up to you to read your book and take in the knowledge. The classroom portion will likely just be skills and maybe a couple major tests. Have fun. Online classes aren't for everyone.

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to come across that I'm confused about what I signed up for. I guess I really was asking for advice because I've been told online is somewhat different from having purely classroom lessons.

OP
OP
David Park

David Park

Forum Probie
the better question is what program did you sign up for?

The program I signed up is some "Online Hybrid" EMT-B course. Of course, I probably shouldn't get too ahead of myself. I merely registered and as of now, they still need more people to sign up on the roster to have an actual class. It's weird really. The AEMT and Paramedic courses are all classroom but the EMT-B course is an "online hybrid".

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Why don't I try to actually answer you......

It's a little different. The main difference being that the time management and the pace of the course is a bit more on your side. Yes, read. Yes, study. But more than that , try to interact as much as you can in discussions with the class and the instructor. A mark of a good hybrid course is always one that has an active and responsive instructor, and an active roster of students willing to discuss learning points.

If you don't find these things, look for ways to expand upon different subjects on your own through trusted sources. This recent uptick in quality online (free) resources for EMS has really been great. As a basic, your most important skill to develop is the ability to assess, assess well, and paint a picture for the handoff. THe o2 and the c-collar stuff could mostly be taught to anyone. The questions you ask a pt are really critical as you are the gateway to higher care. Depending on your situation (rural or urban) you may be the authority for a good while so know your stuff. Envision answers to your questions and what that would mean for you in that scenario.

I don't take notes. Not that you shouldn't, but I just never found them useful. I see so many people "blindly read" and "take notes" and really have no idea how to apply the information. The point is, it is important to also know what kind of learner you are. Visual, tactile, auditory? And then see how you can best apply that knowledge while you are in the class.

A lot of good resources on this forum too. Ignore the naysayers. You will be fine.

Phill

OP
OP
David Park

David Park

Forum Probie
Why don't I try to actually answer you......

It's a little different. The main difference being that the time management and the pace of the course is a bit more on your side. Yes, read. Yes, study. But more than that , try to interact as much as you can in discussions with the class and the instructor. A mark of a good hybrid course is always one that has an active and responsive instructor, and an active roster of students willing to discuss learning points.

If you don't find these things, look for ways to expand upon different subjects on your own through trusted sources. This recent uptick in quality online (free) resources for EMS has really been great. As a basic, your most important skill to develop is the ability to assess, assess well, and paint a picture for the handoff. THe o2 and the c-collar stuff could mostly be taught to anyone. The questions you ask a pt are really critical as you are the gateway to higher care. Depending on your situation (rural or urban) you may be the authority for a good while so know your stuff. Envision answers to your questions and what that would mean for you in that scenario.

I don't take notes. Not that you shouldn't, but I just never found them useful. I see so many people "blindly read" and "take notes" and really have no idea how to apply the information. The point is, it is important to also know what kind of learner you are. Visual, tactile, auditory? And then see how you can best apply that knowledge while you are in the class.

A lot of good resources on this forum too. Ignore the naysayers. You will be fine.

Phill

Thank you, that really helps. I'm just so nervous of making sure I don't miss anything or going a little too late over some online deadline for a certain section I might have problem with. However I think I might just be fine now that you've given me a better scope and idea of what to do and how it will be. Thank you.

Oh, I might also ask, are practicals at the end all of them or just one at random to perform?

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Practicals should be throughout to a certain extent. This would be program specific.

Get a calendar and literally train yourself to look at it regularly. You will be surprised to see how much you stress less when you don't have to worry about the due dates. Paper one. Literally write it. Look at videos of folks doing EMT scenarios.

As a side note and only if you have time...check out some of the folks doing great things online.

Confessions of an EMS newbie (discontinued but features kelly grayson walking a guy through basic school on itunes)
emcrit
Subscribe to JEMS, EMS world magazines..

Podcast embasic.. a little above you right now but well done.

OP
OP
David Park

David Park

Forum Probie
Practicals should be throughout to a certain extent. This would be program specific.

Get a calendar and literally train yourself to look at it regularly. You will be surprised to see how much you stress less when you don't have to worry about the due dates. Paper one. Literally write it. Look at videos of folks doing EMT scenarios.

As a side note and only if you have time...check out some of the folks doing great things online.

Confessions of an EMS newbie (discontinued but features kelly grayson walking a guy through basic school on itunes)
emcrit
Subscribe to JEMS, EMS world magazines..

Podcast embasic.. a little above you right now but well done.

I'll have to work on getting a calendar schedule. I'm still trying to get into the habit of using calendars. And I'll take a look at all the suggested mags and podcast. Thank you!