so from getting your emt-b to emt-p

FromTheInside

Forum Ride Along
you take the the emt-b course, then you can take the nremt and you can pursue the emt-p. do you need to get in on ride alongs and so forth while in the emt-p program to get a job once you grad? or do you get set up for an internship when getting close to completing the program? i don't know what kind of experience they look for and expect.

also, do you recommend fire science classes for getting on at a fire department? i know its pretty tough to get into the fire department as a fire fighter, but I don't know about as an emt

i've got a day job 9-5:30 mon-fri and plan on taking night classes, so i'm wondering if I can keep that schedule through the program . i'm waiting to meet up with my career advisor to see what kind of schedule i'll can work with..

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Do you want to be a Fire Fighter or a Paramedic? What is your heart's desire?

If it is FF, then the EMT-B will probably suffice and you can start to work on a Fire Science degree. EMT-B is usually a requirement for FF applications but there are exceptions.

If you are from Florida, you may also need your Paramedic to get hired at a FD but can usually transfer off a med unit in a couple of years.

I personally hate to see people taking the paramedic program only to get a FF job or the extra step on the ladder of pay and career in the FD. It does no justice to the patients if you do not want to be a healthcare provider. EMT-P is the one "cert" that so many people can ignore once they get to what they want in the FD since they have very little entry level education invested in it.

OP
OP
F

FromTheInside

Forum Ride Along
No, I don't want to be a fire fighter per say, but FD's hire emt's right? I thought they usually had a emt in their department or on their truck. I want to be a paramedic, when I was looking it up for job opportunities it was saying that ambulance companies, hospitals and fire departments hired emts. I'm sure an emt for the FD would make better money. I'd just like to be able to make more than mid 20's for a comfortable life style.

CPG

Forum Crew Member
Des Moines, Iowa FD

Here in Des Moines all FF are are Paramedics (at least new-hires)

They will put you though the training as well.

Rumor has it that if you get hired with FF1 and Paramedic, you still get to go to school and relearn it again.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The first step, EMT-B, is about 110 hours of basic rescue and emergency techniques for assessing and treating. This is essentially an advanced first-aid course.

Fire Fighters are generally required to have at least these fundamentals for being first on scene either while doing a fire call or responding with the ambulance for heavy rescue and medical assistance. The EMT job is not separate in the Fire Department. You are expected to be a fire fighter and perform all the skills of a fire fighter fighting fires.

If you choose to go the FF route, you will need to be in top physical shape and expect to spend alot of time in extensive firefighting training. It depends on how your EMS system is set up as to the amount of ambulance calls you will run as a FF/EMT.

In some areas you can get your FF certificate through an open academy or by sponsorship from some FD, either volunteer or paid.

The private ambulance companies are good to gain some transport experience and get to know the hospitals. The pay may not be anywhere near some Fire Departments, but work is generally easy to obtain.

Working as an EMT in a hospital ED may give you a broader experience with difference skills and many more patients to fine tune those skills as well as access to many different medical professionals to learn from. The hours are usually better for education with the pay/benefits somewhat better than the private ambulance service.

If you want to be a Paramedic, I would suggest taking some college level Anatomy and Physiology classes. Community colleges are also usually cheaper for obtaining a Paramedic program. You can take it one semester at a time instead of signing a huge loan amount for a "career school" program with the risk of being responsible for the whole thing for many years even if you don't finish.

As I mentioned earlier, Florida as well as other areas, require a Paramedic certificate for the FD. In the FD as a Paramedic, you may work on an ALS engine or rescue ambulance. You may also be expected to rotate to an engine for just fire fighting also.

A county EMS system is my preference if it is well run. You may get most of the benefits of the fire department but don't have to go into burning buildings.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
This amy be old but i assume your calss hasn't started yet. the medic program is a long application process taht usually begins before the summer. the Internships are required to get you medic cert so don't worry you get pleanty of experience. if you want to work for an FD get your Medic card cause you will be top of the line, FD seem to gobble up medics when they can get their hands on one. the benefit of being a medic on an FD even though you probably wont be doing IA is that you usually get first dibs on all call depending on your area.