So confused!

McFly

Forum Probie
Hi guys and gals!

I've posted before that I'd like to become a paramedic in the near future, having been an IT professional for the past eight years since completing my studies in 1998. I have just turned 30. Some of you have encouraged me to follow my dream and to not give up, and that age doesn't have to be a factor. I definately believe it doesn't have to be. And I appreciate everybody's encouragement, I really do!

Recently I've been having delusions of maybe becoming an ER doctor! :blush: But hell, I'm then letting myself in for YEARS of torment and neglected family life (I'm married, no kids yet, but hopefully one or two in the next five years). My wife and I have talked about this and she is 100% behind me whatever I decide. I think my overwhelming desire to help people in emergency situations is pushing me in this direction as well. But then I look at the pre-requisites to get into medical school and I just freeze-up! The last time I looked at anything chemistry or physics was in high school! (12 years ago!). I will definitely have to take an undergraduate course consisting of both these and mathematics before even thinking of applying to medical school. And here's the problem: am I interested enough in these/motivated enough to suffer for a long time to eventually be a qualified doctor in an ER setting, or should I stick to my dream of becoming a paramedic?

The doctor route is a long and tough one, but can potentially open more doors for me in the future. Whereas the paramedic route is a little shorter, little less tough one to follow (I think!), but will allow me to work in the field, whilst still giving me some scope for a career as maybe a flight medic. One thing I DO know for sure is that I want to work in a hospital setting. Of that I am 100% certain.

Obviously I have to answer these for myself and I probably know the answer already. I was just wondering if anyone here has ever faced a similar dillemma?

I'm telling you, this soul-searching rubbish can definately leave one more confused than a chameleon on a bowl of M&M's. :p

Thanks guys!

Epi-do

I see dead people
If you are certain that you want to work in a hospital setting, and are willing to dedicate yourself to the schooling and time requirements, go to medical school! In the end you will be glad you did it. I would recommend not even getting your medic cert if you decide to go to med school. Being a doc is just soooooo different from being a medic, and it seems that most future docs that make a temporary stop at paramedic never seem to make it to medical school.

You know in your heart what you really want to do. You have the support of your family, which is paramount, regardless of which path you follow. Make the decision that is best for you - it honestly sounds like you already have.

RescueShirts.com

Forum Crew Member
I actually know several ER docs that started out as Paramedics...

How much time have you spent in the ER? Do you know what an ER Doc's "actual" job is like... or are you basing your "I want to be an ER doc..." on what you've seen on TV?

Just curious...

If you are looking for exposure to the EMS field... becoming a paramedic can do that for you. If you are in need of working part-time during your Medical school pre-reqs... being a paramedic can give you that option too.

Med-school students who were paramedics first have a HUGE advantage when it comes to patient assessment, interviewing, rule outs, etc...

(Things that are difficult to teach in a classroom setting)

One Doc I know says that he had the easiest time (of his group) applying what he knew to his patient cases (during his rotations)... because he already knew how to ask the right questions... already knew what "sick people" looked like... etc...

It would be easier to become a paramedic (following your dream)... and then going on to med school.... than going straight to med school and figuring out THEN that you really wanted the excitement of being a paramedic.

Just my 2-cents... your mileage may vary!

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Ever thought about getting your RN and working in a trauma center? Lord knows there's a demand for good nurses these days.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
how about becominmg a Physician Assistant? I am going that route. I am becoming a medic and than to Physician Assistant school. I am 29 right now so I am going through the same deal. I have not ruled out Med School yet.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a friend from high school who started out as a military medic right out of high school, got his R.N. then P.A. and just recently got his M.D. in ER medicine at age 52.

If you think you might be too old.. just ask yourself.. how old will you be if you don't do it?

s1080

Forum Probie
You and I are in the same boat my friend. I too have a dream of going to med school. Im 24 years old and have two years of college completed (I wasted alot of those years...went off became a raft guide..blah blah blah). I was the kid that never had a clue. Just didn't know what I wanted to do. That is until I began to get into the medical field. To be honest it started when I was a guide, I had to take a Wilderness Advanced First Aid course and thats what got me interested in the emt field. My obsession began to mature when I was about half way through my emt B course and then thats when I realized what I truly wanted to do.

My strategy is to change my major from computer science to micro biology. While doing that get my emt-I and emt -P cert so that I can begin to get the medical experience. So when all is said and done I'll have multiple years of experience, good degree, and hopefully (fingers crossed) a good MCAT score.
I've been in contact with a docter from the AMA to help me through this process and he has told me a lot of med schools look for, what he called, "Late bloomers". Suffice to say, the goal is still attainable and doubt is my personal enemy.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
What ever route you decide to go and you have the support and love from your family and friends, it will be the right choice for you! Good luck in what ever route you go!! :)

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
he has told me a lot of med schools look for, what he called, "Late bloomers".

I'm guessing that would be because older students are (probably) a lot more disciplined and serious about their coursework, don't party as much, and have a clearer eye on future ambitions. I know I'm painting with a pretty broad brush here, and I know there are some younger students who are disciplined and older students who party too much, but in general I feel I'm probably close. Whatever you do, good luck!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am going to med school to party. Where else can you get access to drungs and wake up to dead body without having done anything illegal?

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
What ever route you decide to go and you have the support and love from your family and friends, it will be the right choice for you! Good luck in what ever route you go!! :)

Best answer yet. Personally, if you made me an MD today, tomorrow, I'd go back to the job I already have.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Best answer yet. Personally, if you made me an MD today, tomorrow, I'd go back to the job I already have.

If you made me an MD today, tomorrow you'd be a medical school.