SNFs Don't Want to Call 9-1-1?

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
Hello All,

I tried searching on this topic but apparently "SNF" and "nursing home" generates too many responses. Sorry if it's be answered before.

I am trying to figure out if something I keep hearing on IFTs is real or an EMS myth.

When running IFTs, I hear a lot of EMTs and Medics saying that SNFs and Nursing Homes are evaluated on the number of times they call 9-1-1, and are penalized if they call 9-1-1 too often.

This explains, according to some crews, why SNFs prefer to call private BLS companies instead of calling 9-1-1 even if the patient may be emergent, and have the BLS crew upgrade the call.

So my questions:
- Do SNFs really get penalized for calling 9-1-1 too often? ( I mean, seriously, even if you're the best SNF if the world you're going to have people that get really sick. It's going to happen.)
- And if it is true, who exactly penalizes the SNF for calling 9-1-1 too often? The County EMS Agency? The SNF Ombudsmen? Adult Protective Services?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
It seems like here one of the reasons they call IFT service instead of 911 is they don't want a three ring circus showing up. The IFT service here operates at an ALS/ILS/BLS levels though.
What I mean by circus is that for 911 you get, at a minimum, 1 FD Rescue and 1 private transport unit (ALS). You also could have a FD Engine show up too

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
They dont' get penalized if they call 911 too much, but they may get audited by the county and they county will want too look over records and such, which becomes a huge hassel for then, and chances are they'll find something wrong, then fine them.