Smear campaign against paramedics

premedtim

Forum Lieutenant
http://www.sacbee.com/797/story/114035.html

Well, it's nice to know that some immature, biased journalist who obviously has a grudge against medics is going to do his best to make it more dangerous for medics and EMTs to work in Sacramento by making the general public suspicious and distrustful of them.

Probably one of the most obvious attempts to smear something that I've ever seen.

Medic2891

Forum Probie
Don't you just love it. Here we are trying to become more noticed as professionals and this doink writes a story about some of us making us look like theives. This goes right along with the discussion in the scumbag alert thread.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
The job is already hard enough to do, the last thing we need is a jerk like that to give the profession bad press :angry: It is the few bad "apples" that ruin it for the entire bunch! What a wiener!!<_<

VinBin

Forum Captain
I found the comments on the article page interesting to read, we got the whole area of views from those reading the article. Of note are the uninformed public who are "shocked!" to hear this, and demand justice! And those that are more logical and know this stuff happens very rarely in all areas of life, from MD's, RN's to Cops...

I find the article interesting for another reason, especially because the staff writer wrote not one, but TWO articles that seem to uncover how "evil" and "corrupt" medics are....

The writing style of Andrew Mclntosh (the writer) reeks of a guy with nothing better to write and a need to fulfill the monthly quota of sensational news for the service.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
premedtim

premedtim

Forum Lieutenant
I found the comments on the article page interesting to read, we got the whole area of views from those reading the article. Of note are the uninformed public who are "shocked!" to hear this, and demand justice! And those that are more logical and know this stuff happens very rarely in all areas of life, from MD's, RN's to Cops...

I find the article interesting for another reason, especially because the staff writer wrote not one, but TWO articles that seem to uncover how "evil" and "corrupt" medics are....

The writing style of Andrew Mclntosh (the writer) reeks of a guy with nothing better to write and a need to fulfill the monthly quota of sensational news for the service.

Agreed. It's unfortunate that people can't see how one-sided the article obviously is and that the writer is clearly on an agenda but what can you do?

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
*foam Rabid Growl*

The entire article and half of the morons commenting really make me mad.

FYI, AMR no longer has the 911 contract in Monterey County. WestMed does.

I think that we all need to comment on that article, either in the comment section or in a letter to the editor of the Sacramento Bee.

Looks like some 'journalist' trying to come up with some made up controversy because he had a deadline to meet..or something. I dunno. I just know that the whole article sucks.

I'm really pissed off now.

GaEMT

Forum Crew Member
I hate to go against the grain here, but this is a problem in our industry and failure to recognize it is to stick one's head in the sand. I did not detect "smear" in the article. I have seen the abuse of controlled substances in EMS and have seen the ramifications. However, the nursing industry has had there share as well and I am sure we have all heard of physicians in the same situation. The media normally reports these as well. Ignoring the problem and stating it doesn't exist is foolish.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I agree, GaEMT... this doesn't really seem like a "smear campaigin"... it seems like harshly worded investigative journalism.

Stealing from patients isn't cool... but we need to recognize the problems and help our co-workers before it gets to that point.

Look, though - what was the root cause of Carey's problem - "working 90 hours a week as a new ____ employee" Why are we working 90 hour weeks? Because we don't make enough money. it is a freaking vicious cycle.

Did you realize that many states and licensing boards have provisions to assist a nurse or physcian who has become addictied to narcotics, or other drugs /alcohol. These programs get the healthcare practioner the help they need, while allowing them to maintain their licensure, so that they can still have a job once they have "cleaned up."

VERY FEW EMS agencies have these same programs.

If you do something that is detremental to the public health, such as replacing MS with Saline, then you should have your cert pulled and be arrested. If you don't cause harm, though, you should be HELPED thouugh your tough times and given an opportuinity to reclaim your job (under CLOSE supervision) once you are clean.

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant